Aluminum TIG Welding Pro Needed

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. It's a 5/8 UNC thread if you take the screen out. I could probably put it back on but I'd loose some compression of the oring. I'm not sure it's still perfectly flat after the welding so more squish is better.

I've still got more finish work to do on it and I'll cut the tube to length and bead it once I get the IC plumbing together.

How do you plan to seal the bolt hole up top?

If you're going through the trouble of removing the intake I'd just weld / purchase one that's already been converted
If I were tearing into it, that's the road I'd go.

EDIT

How about this for a starting point?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BZYZFC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Weld a sheet on top and a tube, similar to how laserjock did it.

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That might work. Welding it and not warping it may be tricky but I'm not a welder... just a guy with a welder and lots of patients with a grinder.

I cut a little bevel on the bolt hole to accept an o-ring to seal it. A copper or aluminum gasket would probably also do the trick but I like o-ring seals. The intake seal is a square o-ring that fits real nice and is captured by the hat so it won't squish out.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm I'll follow suit with the o-ring. So I found a 5" aluminum 1/8" disc for $5 online... gonna botch the first one by trying to braze it onto the half inch riser ring, then I'll call in the TIG backup when I'm done butchering it, Chuck it in the scrap pile, and new parts arrive. LOL

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't seem to have a picture of the final result somehow but you get the idea...

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0705.JPG
    tn_IMG_0705.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0703.jpg
    IMG_0703.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0704.jpg
    IMG_0704.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 18

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

(Test fit on a parts intake)

Tadaa! It's a half inch carb riser and a 5" disc from metalremnants.com, with a .8" tall, 2" tube inlet. I have 10" of that tube left, and will use that to connect a silicone 90 out of the hat and 45, 60, or hump to the turbo. The boost sensor adapter was tapped straight down the factory screen bolt.

It was all attached with uniweld p4kd9 uni-4300, and zero actual machining was required.

It ain't a hotrod or performance part, just a replacement for that big 'ol banks box. Now I can get back to my electronics projects, lol.

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Looks good but maybe a couple of suggestions. It would be a good idea to TIG or bend a lip on the inlet for the tubing to grip to. It also looks really tight against the center bolt. Will the tubing and clamp clear the center bolt?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have .5" of pipe stub for the tubing/clamp once the center bolt is snugged down.

Good idea on the lip, but I kinda doubt the measly output from my turbo will pop a boot. I did rough up the surface so the silicone will grab better. I don't have a TIG welder or shaping tools to roll a lip into it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online