Alternator Wiring...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I want to change my alternator out to the serpentine type setup. The alternator has a differant wire setup on it than my 89 does with the external voltage regulator. So how do I wire up the new alt to my older wiring setup? Also which alternator should I use. The 95 amp or the 130 amp alternator and why. One is bigger than the other too.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
why not just change the pulley? i thought the shafts were the same.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Jred... All the pulleys need to be changed. Also the alt mount is differant along with the ac and power steering mount. The vacuum pump is located differantly also. The serpentine belt system is much easier to work on too. You don't have the floppy alternator belt any longer. And the best thing is one belt is all you need as a spare. I will be keeping a spare idler and tensioner behind the seat too.

suv7734

Reaction score
Here's the wiring diagrams for the original (ext. regulator) and later one (int. regulator)

I will be keeping a spare idler and tensioner behind the seat too.

One day we're going to need a pic of behind your seat :D Good thing you have a CC like me!

Attachments

• 88-89_wiring.gif
    88-89_wiring.gif
    122.9 KB · Views: 11
  • int_reg_wiring.gif
    int_reg_wiring.gif
    124.7 KB · Views: 10

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sorry, guess i need to think of the bigger picture you have planned.:cool

if i were doing it fresh all things being equal, i would shoot for the higher amp alt. more piece of mind to me having the extra capacity. would be interested to see what it takes to do this up grade since my old 6.9 is a v-belt set up.