Alternator service

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Thats cool Dave.:thumbsup: I agree with Russ, don't give your time away. The knowledge you have about this has a value in itself. Thank you for sharing with us. Best of luck.;Sweet

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
My 92 has the 3 bolt serpentine belt setup. The 3G was stock.

I had to ask, i've seen 2 92 trucks and 1 92 van still v belt.

This is something i have done in the past. I put a 6G alternator and change the plug where the 3g was. The 6G can be had in a 250 amp, with a larger case and better cooling. This was on the T bolt pattern alternators. I also converted a bunch of 6g over to 3g on the 6.0 cookoo because the fleet wanted to only keep 1 alternator for all their Ford diesels... I can't tell you how many i changed of those.

Just FYI.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Thats cool Dave.:thumbsup: I agree with Russ, don't give your time away. The knowledge you have about this has a value in itself. Thank you for sharing with us. Best of luck.;Sweet

Thanks im not trying to get rich here, just trying to help people with good quality rebuilds, with the knowledge i have gained

I can rebuild any 3g 4g 6g i can do the 1g's i havent done alot of them but i have done enough to know how to, i have rebuilt a few mitsu units and mopar units. but i honestly have no idea how many 3g 4g and 6g i have rebuilt probly somewere around 20,000 if i had to guess i build something like 500-750 a day

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
200amp 3g is gonna run 180+shipping
240amp 3g will be 195+ shipping

Which level of rebuild would these be, are they where you just reuse the old case?
I know I'm going to be needing something here pretty soon. Tonight I was driving home in a storm and I had all my fans on and it was running warmer than when I turned one of my pushers off and my lights were running dim, so I know the main fans weren't getting full power. I think the wipers running full tilt was the straw that broke the camels back.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Which level of rebuild would these be, are they where you just reuse the old case?
I know I'm going to be needing something here pretty soon. Tonight I was driving home in a storm and I had all my fans on and it was running warmer than when I turned one of my pushers off and my lights were running dim, so I know the main fans weren't getting full power. I think the wipers running full tilt was the straw that broke the camels back.

Only re-use the case as long as there is no cracks, the pulley as long as its good and the rotor, unless you want a rotor i can look a price up for a 3g rotor, but everything else will be new,

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Here is some info i am posting for yall

1G large case(most of our idi's) this is if i upgrade it, this very unit sells online for 254 dollars:eek:
Idle Output: 750RPM 85Amps
Max output: 1500 RPM 200Amps

here is the 200 amp 3G:
Idle Output: 750RPM 95Amps
Max output: 1500 RPM 200Amps

here is the 240 amp 3g:
Idle Output: 750RPM 115Amps
Max output: 1500 RPM 240Amps
The 3G 200-240 amp units sell for 250-300+:eek::puke:

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont have a need for a higher output alternator and dont expect to any time soon, but i am very curious as to what is done to an alternator to get the higher output. i would guess that the stator is replaced with one that has larger diameter wire in the windings. i'd also think the diodes in the rectifier are either replaced with larger ones or are supplimented with extras to handle the higher current. the only other thing i can think of that might need to be replaced with a heavier duty unit is the regulator.

is my line of thought heading down the right path, or am i way off?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dieseltech, yes.
davidlee also yes, usually the regulator doesnt care it is just controlling voltage to load, more amps make more heat so sometimes the very hot alts use a ext reg on industrials.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i dont have a need for a higher output alternator and dont expect to any time soon, but i am very curious as to what is done to an alternator to get the higher output. i would guess that the stator is replaced with one that has larger diameter wire in the windings. i'd also think the diodes in the rectifier are either replaced with larger ones or are supplimented with extras to handle the higher current. the only other thing i can think of that might need to be replaced with a heavier duty unit is the regulator.

is my line of thought heading down the right path, or am i way off?

Different stator and rectifier if its an internally regulated unit it comes with a heavy duty replacement reg. if its an externally regulated unit i RECKOMEND buying a HD REG. and keeping a spare just in case