Alternator service

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I have been working at a starter/alternator factory for sometime now, and i want to use my knowledge to offer alternator rebuild sevices and later starter rebuild services to oilburners members to help everyone out,

I have found a place i can buy parts to rebuild the alternators, its pretty decently priced on parts, My labor time will not be much on these as im not looking to really make any money on this, labor charge will be a set amount on these no matter what has to be done to the alternator, the thing that will run the bill up will be dependent on what has to be replaced.

I will let everyone know my labor charge tomorrow after i crunch some numbers tomorrow.

I can rebuild the alternators for our trucks and i can also rebuild any 3G 4G or 6G alternator, if anyone is interested let me know.

here is the options you have:

budget rebuild- only replace whats needed to get it working, warranty i cant really warranty anything on these except what i replace because its a salvage rebuild PRICE: 25.00+ cost of parts to fix it+ shipping

premium rebuild- includes a new rectifier, new brush holder, new bearings, new insulators, and new capacitor, i can warranty all parts listed in these if they go bad after fixing them for you, but i cant warranty any rotor or stator problems as those will be reused PRICE: 80.00+shipping

100%new 70-100amp rebuild- is just that everything internal will be new, only thing reused will be your case and pulley and fan. New rotors for these things are ridiculous so if someone wants a 100% new rebuild i recomend using the old rotor if its good but i will price both- PRICE WITHOUT NEW ROTOR: 135.00+shipping if i use the blue back truck stator, if you want a price with a new rotor then PM me but its so high Noone will want this,

200Amp upgrade- i take your old 70-100 amp alternators and upgrade them to 200 amp, this unit will probly be the most costly as the parts to do this is pretty pricy, price below in the thread.

All alternators will be tested to confirm that they work before they are shipped.

shipping i will figure out a flat rate price for everyone as long as you ship via my terms.

More to be posted tomorrow. i will also put a price on everything tomorrow aswell

Last edited:

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
you do any kind of alternator? the 200amp sounds interesting. especially for all the **** i plan to install in the 87. let me know a price when you get a chance.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
How many amps can you get out of a 3G? I'm needing to get an upgrade rebuild for mine to handle the E fan conversion and all the other electric extras I have running on the beast.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
How many amps can you get out of a 3G? I'm needing to get an upgrade rebuild for mine to handle the E fan conversion and all the other electric extras I have running on the beast.

92 still run v-belt or you run the 3 bolt case 3g on your truck?

200 amp can be had very reliably out of a 3g with heavy duty parts. Keep a spare HD regulator in the glovebox just in case.

I have also installed many 250, 260, 275 amp alternators in Ford built trucks, limos, police vehicles. Most of those past the 250 mark use external voltage regulator and rectifiers. I wouldn't install them in mine just for the sheer inconvenience factor if i was traveling and needed parts right away. Most of these have been 6g units though.

I have seen 250amp 3g models though.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dyoung, look into the high amp rectifier for the 1G that has studs and nuts to hold the stator wires instead of soldering, they are off of the "blue back" truck 1G.

Also dont give your time away, if you are providing a service you need to make some at least.

Also are these transpo parts, they have good electronics.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
92 still run v-belt or you run the 3 bolt case 3g on your truck?

200 amp can be had very reliably out of a 3g with heavy duty parts. Keep a spare HD regulator in the glovebox just in case.

I have also installed many 250, 260, 275 amp alternators in Ford built trucks, limos, police vehicles. Most of those past the 250 mark use external voltage regulator and rectifiers. I wouldn't install them in mine just for the sheer inconvenience factor if i was traveling and needed parts right away. Most of these have been 6g units though.

I have seen 250amp 3g models though.

My 92 has the 3 bolt serpentine belt setup. The 3G was stock.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score

200 or 240 amp

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Dyoung, look into the high amp rectifier for the 1G that has studs and nuts to hold the stator wires instead of soldering, they are off of the "blue back" truck 1G.

Also dont give your time away, if you are providing a service you need to make some at least.

Also are these transpo parts, they have good electronics.

All rectifiers are transpo parts, and the 70-100amp units i can upgrade to 200 amp
and the 40-65 amps i can take them to 140 amp

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Price on the 1G 200amp upgrade unit will be 150 dollars+shipping cost, the parts cost me 125 alone like i said its not cheap to upgrade

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a 200amp 1G what other upgrades would be required? Does anyone make a better quality Voltage Reg that I could run?

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That could turn into a very cool possibility. I just got a new alt 2 years ago but all of the V regs i looked at felt cheaper than the toast motorcraft one I pulled off. Thanks David!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
One thing i need to explain about the budget build is i will only be replacing whats bad in it most the time all i see going bad in these things is brushes and rectifiers, i reckomend changing bearings wether they need them or not, just a piece of mind, but i will build them to the specs that yall want

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US