Algea in my fuel?

pcwizzy16

Reaction score
Drive it once a week maby? It probably wouldn't hurt.

Overall, the fuel systems are pretty stout on our IDIs, the only problem being if you get something 'sticky' in there.

And if it does manage to get stuck, it's fixable... might be a bit of a pain, though.
Back in July last year, the truck wouldn't start very well, and wiggling the electrical connections and tapping near the IP helped, maybe the fuel shutoff solenoid got gunked up? It started fine a couple weeks ago, so IDK how much fuel in the tanks is over a year old, but we have driven it within a year though.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
If it were me, I'll pump the tank out, drop it and have a look inside. Probably not what you want to hear, but it could save you a lot of trouble in the future.

The problem with biodiesel is that it is an unsaturated ester. When it is exposed to oxygen (air), the metal fuel tank acts as a catalyst, and the esters polymerize. That reddish goop is actually a polyester. Plastic fuel tanks don't have this problem.

The key is not to let the biodiesel sit for long in an unsealed metal tank. I keep my biodiesel in plastic barrels now, and use it immediately after fueling up. I only use 10% bio now with my WMO mix.

My brother says acetone or methanol will dissolve it.

I originally posted about this red goop last year in this thread:
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/adventures-with-biodiesel.48908/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat