Air ride conversion/frame stretch

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Well, things have progessed and it's now roadworthy:
You must be registered for see images attach

Got a few little things to tidy up, but it's pretty much done compared to where I started cookoo

maniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, looks real good ;Sweet

How's it ride and handle now?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
More stuff done this weekend.

Started on tin work

Just about time to paint and bolt this thing together for good :eek:
Still lots of little things to do, but this will make truck usable.

OHHH! Cleco's ;Sweet been a while since I have used them.

Dang...this conversion looks familiar :D

Looking real ;Sweet;Sweet

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I've only bobtailed it so far, last Sunday to a show about 1hr away. Runs really nice, really notice the longer wheelbase as it doesn't "buck" around as bad. I tried running it up to the new top speed(72 mph), it gets there, but only with a tailwind! Really lacking power but hopefully someday I'll rectify that too. 180 hp only gets you moving so fast, even with only a 12K lb truck.

I hooked onto the trailer that afternoon to get race car loaded up so I can get out this coming weekend(maybe, if the rain EVER stops). I think I'll have some issues with getting around the corner and into my driveway with the longer truck. The streets are just barely 2 cars wide with ditches on the sides(ugh). Might have to go up a few streets and come back from the other side and make the loop? Five feet isn't much, but when you don't have much room it's MILES.

One thing I did notice, not sure exactly what it was, but, when I got it up to just over 55 mph, it got a bad "bobble" out back and it shook the whole truck. You could power through it and then it was fine. Only thing I could come up with is the fact I still had the rear tires aired down to 70 psi(when it was spring ride). With new bags and shocks, I think the tires might have been counter-reacting and causing the bounce? I aired the tire up to 85 psi when I got home, so I'll be curious to see if that helps. I don't think it will be an issue with the trailer? Never had this problem before, so it has to be something I did. I do know I need to get the bushings rebuilt in the rear crossmember(under the bags), but not sure that those would cause a problem like this.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Ya.

Made the trip to South Bend, Indiana for the ATHS truck convention. All was well, til the ride home. Blew the LR axle seal about 1/2 way home. Was puking it's guts out for 3 hrs and made a hell of a mess. Come to find out I'm a dummy and apparently didn't install it correctly. Seems I didn't install the slinger for the 2 pc unit I used. I pulled both apart and installed the one piece seal and replaced the brakes on the LR side. All is good again.

Got maybe 1000 miles on it now and still working on finishing up the interior parts for the front of the bunk. I made a new front wall piece with matching tan vinyl, just need to make the boot part and get it stapled in. Not sure when that will all happen, but it's usable for now.

maniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come to find out I'm a dummy and apparently didn't install it correctly

Nope not your fault, you need a special tool the put those in, I hate them myself, I use a standard CR seal, put a block of wood across it, and WHACK, thats all there is to it.

Check that the breather is clear, a plugged up breather will puke a seal in a hurry.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Thanks Russ. I hoped to catch up with you guys sometime this summer at one of your "get togethers".

Ohhh, well I'll take FULL responsibility on the faulty install...................and here's the REST OF THE STORY..........

When I got the new frame with axle it had budd hubs. I pulled the hubs off and got spokes for it. The budds HAD the one piece seal(remember that little piece of information). When I got the spokes it had 2 pc Stemco seals on them. I used that number to get new ones. Ok, this is where stupidity kicks in. I got the new seals and installed them, at least I thought so. I used the slinger(that came in the package) as the installation tool and then pitched them(duh). I thought that was the installation tool? Didn't realize that since the budds that came off were one piece seals(and no slinger on the axle tube) I didn't know I needed to use that lil part. It made it a few hundred miles before puking it's guts. The passeger side was still dry, but when I pulled it apart it was getting mucky around the edges. I almost didn't pull the other side until I went to get the new seal and they then told me about the two different designs. Geesh. I got the one piece design and got it all switched around and it seems to be fine now. I got a nice slug of steel from work to use as a driver to get it to go in straight and even. Yes, the breather is open.

Luggin' them spokes on/off was a real bear. Outboard drums on budds woulda been really nice! I'm getting too wore out for this crap :rolleyes:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not doing too awful bad now. Docs have me a lot better than a few months ago but I still have a ways to go. Sold the Freightliner to one of my best friends and he loves it, making good money with her.

Building a new shop and getting ready to build a '55 Ford C500 crew cab pickup on a 2000 E450 ambulance chassis.

Gotta keep busy in my retirement.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Glad to hear. Positive attitude is everything. Keeping busy helps too.

Sounds like a really cool project. Hope you post some pics. C model is a cabover?
I suppose it's a diesel chassis?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, C series is the COE.. A van chassis is a nice set up for these. I'll do a full build here. Should be getting started on it withing the next couple months.

My goal is something very similar to this '56 model

I'll be getting well beyond the basics in autobody, paint and sheet metal work when I get to mashing the '55 C500, '56 F100 and '2000 E450 together to make one truck.

The 2000 E450 I bought has a 7.3 PSD, auto, dual alternator setup IIRC, AC, hydroboost 4 wheel disc brakes and 55 gallon fuel tank. I drove it 1500 miles home dragging a Uhaul trailer with a '56 F100 I bought on it. Drove aand rode pretty nice. Rode a lot better than I thought it was going too with the ambulance body removed from it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online