Air Filter Wrong???

triplethreat

AGENT ORANGE
Reaction score
I just got my filter from Filter1 today and I coud have sworn it was supposed to be round not oval (the trucks not here to check) anyway there is also a tab broken off although the pic is blurry. Can you guys tell me if it's the right filter or not.

Dan

Attachments

• DSC01774 (Large).JPG
    DSC01774 (Large).JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC01775 (Large).JPG
    DSC01775 (Large).JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC01776 (Large).JPG
    DSC01776 (Large).JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC01777 (Large).JPG
    DSC01777 (Large).JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 4

triplethreat

AGENT ORANGE
Reaction score
I don't know if you can tell but in the last two pics one of the little tabs is broke off do you think it would be a problem to still use it. I'd hat to send it back. I always thought the filter box looked round not oval.

Dan

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
no, its oval. and as far as the tab, I'll prolly break mine off the next one just to make install and removal easier. (if I finally keep a truck long enough to have to change the filter...let alone oil...) LOL

seagravedriver

Reaction score
Looks like just what I got, & my buddy. His fit. I have yet to get anything wrong from Filter one. Craig

Last edited:

seagravedriver

Reaction score
But mine did not have that orange/yellow furry thing stuck to it. You didnt try to install it with that in place, did you? ;) Craig

triplethreat

AGENT ORANGE
Reaction score
No, It is the right one had no problem putting it in took about 15 minutes and no cuts or scrapes.

Dan

swanee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was that the open air side or the engine side with the broken tab? If it's the engine side, I'd be leery of using it. I think the sealing on that side is questionable at best, and with one less working clip, you'd just be asking for trouble. JMHO.

triplethreat

AGENT ORANGE
Reaction score
It is the engine side but, there was enough of it left that it did seal quite well. I took the whole section out and put it together where i could see it and there is still enough of the tab there to seal it.

Dan

Bear Hunter

RLTW!
Reaction score
Well....I hope you sent it back and got one with the "tabs" that are intact. Those tabs are used to secure the bottom portion of the filter (there are no metal clips on the bottom like there are on the top)...and the pic you are showing happens to be on the turbo side...so unless you want dirt getting into your system...breaking off tabs for easier removal is definately not a good idea.

Bear Hunter

RLTW!
Reaction score
...or are you talking about the top of the filter housing? Its hard to tell from the pics...either way, you paid good money and should get what you bought undamaged.

JohnSWA

Reaction score
I'm curious about what you paid for it from filter one. Yeah, I know I could go check myself. Maybe I will. I bought mine from Walmart! Yup! They have them there! I think I paid $64 or something around there. At first it looked like a daunting task, but after loosening the two clamps on either side, it wasn't so bad.

Another thing. Does the freaking indicator work for you? :mad: I finally reached 34K and thought I'd change the filter anyway even though the indicator showed no problems! I live in a "high dust" area and can just imagine dealing with the service writer if my turbo is damaged because I relied on that stupid indicator!

Anyway, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents as well as a couple questions. I was really surprized to find both the air and oil filters at Wallyworld!