Air conditioning to air compressor

Team Dirt

Reaction score
Anyone ever turn their air conditioning compressor into an air compressor. I’m pulling my 6.9 to do heads and gaskets and was just going to plumb the compressor into a small tank for filling tires.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Dylanviey has not done that, but he has installed small compressors and tanks in at least 3 or 4 trucks here since I have known him, he might have some ideas

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is possible to do however you will have to find a way to push oil into the air inlet of the compressor and remove it again from the outlet otherwise the compressor will seize up if you do not oil it.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is possible to do however you will have to find a way to push oil into the air inlet of the compressor and remove it again from the outlet otherwise the compressor will seize up if you do not oil it.
This. You want a compressor with an oil sump like a york or sanden. Not our fs6

Team Dirt

Reaction score
This. You want a compressor with an oil sump like a york or sanden. Not our fs6
Ya I have an older gas engine with a compressor with a sump. Was going to see if I could make brackets work. Was more wondering if it will make much air. Might build a new rear bumper out of pipe for a tank. It’s a bush truck so air is handy on the logging roads if you get a flat.

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The york compressors do a good job as an air compressor. I've seen they tend to average out at 10cfm. There is plenty of info on things that you can do to make it more effective and reduce oil consumption.

Dylanviey

Reaction score
If all your doing is filling tires. I would recommend buying 1 or a couple of 12v compressors and a nice large tank. (Biggest you can fit or even multiple smaller ones the more Capacity the better) the key it to make sure your system is 100% air tight.

here’s a photo of my compressors in a toolbox on my new truck. Also have 2 2-5 gallon tank mounted to the frame and about a 20-30gallon tank between the frame behind the bumper. Wiring Multiple compressors together will be the hard part. Mine keeps blowing 40amp fuses need to buy a 60amp resetting one for mine.

I’ve been hunting for a way to do a bolt on compressor from like a semi truck that was I can have higher capacity air and be able to run air tools. But I don’t know of any semi truck junk yards around me that I can pull one off of something to experiment. But it hasn’t been a high priority since I have mostly battery operated tools.

If this is the route you choose I’ll be willing to help you with the design. I learned a few things from my previous trucks that helped me with my latest one.

p.s. don’t mind the rats nest of wires in that box I’m still doing wiring and everything is loosely hung everything will be in closed in conduit once I’m finished and will look nice and pretty.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IH trucks and school buses that were equipped with the idi and air brakes will have a belt driven air compressor mounted on a bracket. They appear to be kind of tall though, so I'm not sure if it will clear the hood on a pickup truck.

But, if I were wanting an onboard air compressor, finding a scrap truck/bus donor and installing one of those would be the route I would take. I'm not saying that a york ac compressor can't be made to work, just that I feel the bendix compressor would be better. The cfm created depends on the specific model, but the compressor on my spare engine makes 12cfm @ idle.

But if all you're doing is airing up tires, a simple electric pump on a small tank might be your best/cheapest/easiest bet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online