Air bag questions

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
One problem with that idea. When the bags are deflated and the suspension is cycled, the top bracket will HIT the bottom bracket:eek:

true hadent thought of that but i figured you would hit bumpstops before brackets touching

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Instructions say you never want less than 10 lbs. air in the bags after mounting.IIRC.

I kinda figured someone would of picked up on that. Be deflated i meant to min pressure of 10psi

Yup theyre still holding up!;Sweet

I wasn't really keen on cutting and welding them to the rail mounts as to keeping those 2 systems separate and individually serviceable.

By cutting off the outside wing and welding it back on to the inside, i didnt meant to weld the airbag mount to the 5th wheel mount

true hadent thought of that but i figured you would hit bumpstops before brackets touching

It looks like there is 2" of clearance between the top and bottom airbag mounts. I would hope there is more suspension travel than that

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
It looks like there is 2" of clearance between the top and bottom airbag mounts. I would hope there is more suspension travel than that

agreed seems that the ones ive sold and installed have had alot more room than that. that looks like if u went on to hilly ground you run the risk of a ripped bag easily

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score

Brad I've got a 120 gallon aux fuel tank in the bed and that thing seems like it weighs a ton by itself. She does set up higher without it.;Sweet

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My hitch is a RBW, but they appear to mount the same as a Reese.

On mine, when the pros at the shop mounted it (on a different truck without airbags), they put the brackets to the frame on the outer bolts going up into the rails.
When I transferred the hitch to my current truck, I bolted it on the same way.
In the pic below, you can see the forward bolt hanging down (where yours is mounted), and the bracket bolted to the rear bolt.
If you were to move the bracket to the rear like my truck is, you'd only have to move the 2 rear brackets, as the 2 front ones should have plenty of clearance to the air bag bracket. It would require drilling 2 more holes in each frame rail, but might be easier than cutting/welding the air bag bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_4565.JPG
    IMG_4565.JPG
    367 KB · Views: 18

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I run about 10 pounds in the bags except when I strap the 5er to the back of it. 1700 pounds of pin weight sags the rear end about 2.5", and 50 psi in the bags brings it right back up to where it started. Also keep in mind that 50 pounds in the bags BEFORE you put the weight on them will increase when the weight is added.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Heres a link to the thread that has some pictures of my setup ( I've since upgraded teh compressor ) But I have them mounted aft of center with brackets I got from AVS
I really love this setup.The onboard air has proven a lifesaver a few times already. Nothing like having air tools for changing a tire on the side of the interstate ;Sweet

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth here are some pics of my set up. I bought it like this.

Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_1099.JPG
    IMG_1099.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 6

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Ron when I did mine,on the SD I had the same problem. I moved the reese rail supports to the other side and made brackets to fit existing holes.
But in researching, others had welded the air bag mount to the reeses rail bracket, and made a spacer to space the front out.

91F250XLIDI

Reaction score
When I put my hitch on there was two sets of holes in the top of the frame attachment. I was able to lign it up to use the front hole which moved the bracket back just enough to fit.
You must be registered for see images attach

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I put my hitch on there was two sets of holes in the top of the frame attachment. I was able to lign it up to use the front hole which moved the bracket back just enough to fit.
You must be registered for see images attach

Nice catch;Sweet I forgot all about the universal rail mounting brackets having 2 holes up top offset from the holes on the sides of the brackets. Even if his don't he could simply swap to opposite side of the truck. Take longer to get the tools out than do the job.

I have Airlift bags and the Airlift Load Controller II onboard air system on my dually. Love it. I don't know if you already have a compressor or not but this is a good basic system that gives you in cab control without all the extra fancy BS you really don't need.

Have had it on her for 3 years and over 120,000 miles, half of the miles towing with no problems... At least none I didn't create myself like when I took a trip to Yellowknife and had to heat up a small fuel fitting for my aux tank that iced up and wouldn't flow at -40F. Got the torch too close to the plastic air line and blew a hole in it under pressure in the middle of nowhere -cuss

The automatic pressure sensor switch is set at 5 psi minimum for these bags. My compressor power is tied in so it only can run with the ignition on. My system doesn't leak down at all but it will automaticly turn itself on if I lower the pressure too far like when I'm disconnecting one of my trailers. I hook and drop just like you do with an Air ride semi that has a dump valve. Saves a lot of wear and tear on your arms or landing gear if it's electric.

I run the landing gear down so it just starts to lift the truck a little, dump my air, check for clearance with the gooseneck or ball or a slight gap on a fifth wheel and pull out. When I hook up a trailer, I hook up the hitch, put 50 lbs in the bags and then raise the landing gear.