Against the IDI code of honor???

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
Okay...

I am having some major fits with the Ghost...and am ready to give up. In fact, I was out there wrenching on her, and got so frustrated that I actually picked up my tools, washed my hands, closed the hood, and have decided to let her set a while, at least until I cool off a bit.

Anywho, would it be detrimental to my IDI well being to pull the motor out of the Ghost and drop it in the Bronco(something I know I can handle). I know there are several people doing this same thing, but I am actually gonna emasculate the Ghost and evntually rebuild the body and frame and give it a different power plant.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
what were you working on?

I'd say it depends on the situation every time. Like for some people it might be better do drop the engine in something else, others maybe not. It's up too you i'd say. You'd still be sporting an IDI. :)

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Since you are still keeping the IDI I see no harm in it. You are one step better than me. I traded mine in on the truck in my sig. You will need to swap the trans with the IDI though. The IDI uses the big block bolt patern.
Ken

rthomas

Reaction score
if money and mostly time were of no consequence id do a cummins swap, but my 6.9 seems to be in good shape and i have a low miles 7.3 waiting patiently in the corner for its turn

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
Some of you may remember from my younger days at TDS when I blew up the 86 and not soon after bought the Ghost and took her out too. I did think about doing a C swap then, but only had a couple grand to spend, so it was out of the question.

Don't get me wrong guys... I love the truck. It's just that everytime one thing gets fixed, something else breaks down. She's left me stranded three times nowin the past 3 months(1 time engine, other two driveline ), the last time getting parts to repair my wife's t-bird this past wednesday. I know, 367,000 miles, somethings bound to break, but this is rediculous. That's the main reason for wanting to do the swap to the bronco.

The motor is strong, and the tranny is awesome. I've always wanted something small that could pull a tired ***** off a pisspot (can I say that?), and I've got the bronco just sitting there waiting for a heart transplant. Money is an object, so work would be slow, and progress even slower on the Ghost's rebuild, but yes she would sport a 97-98 12v Cummins with a few bells and whistles to boot. I've been driving an 01 Dooge with the 24v in her, and I am beginning to like the motor more and more.

I'd just have to get the 6.9er inthe bronc to keep me getting my smoke fix.

BTW-I'm still waiting for Mel to see this...

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to learn more about hopping up an IDI before putting a C in my truck. I wish the folks at DPS would be more enthusiastic about IDI upgrades... sounds like Ken there knows a LOT about hopping up the IDI but isn't sharing much specific info.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mikes91
sounds like Ken there knows a LOT about hopping up the IDI but isn't sharing much specific info.
I've kinda had the impression that he's still experimenting...maybe he wants to get something better set in stone before he "goes public" with it?

Just a thought...I will say this much, though. After hearing the clip Ken recorded if his low-comp 6.9l fire off, I have a feeling that a serious HO-IDI wouldn't be all that "street-able"...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I see the early signs of conversion in the making... :Sly

Join me on the darkside - together we can rule the universe

Yep sounds like my final days of Enterprise ownership... Comes a point where you draw a line in the sand.

I will say it's not so bad actually I'm in enjoying mine. :peelout

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont care what anybody says........... an IDI Bronco would rock!!

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
Well, its a shame to hear disapointment like that. I've always felt one of the strong points of our type of trucks was the ease of maintainence and low cost of ownership. For me its been as simple as a real good wash followed by a casual inspection top to bottom. Sort of like communing with nature, only its your truck in stead:love:
That being said, I have come to believe the IDI has definate limits to its ability to be bombed, and that suits me and my ride fine. I feel our engine shairs some of the design retardation that IHC built into their 9.0L engines-Deadhorse so if you try to push things, the quart of milk is empty before you expected. Actually, the whole pre-cup issue comes to mind. You have a head with excess orifices machined all over it, and cup throats that have a heat fracture life expectancy based on certain CC's of fuel being burned. Our heads crack too easily, and last time I checked, there isn't a real good supply of cores out there.-Playme
Not to dwell on that stuff, my truck has never let me down, even with broken clutch, or fractured heads we've always driven home - with dignity" (touching wood quickly right now :Sly )
Good luck with your project, don't loose heart!

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Why you think that?
You are still using the IDI and related running gear.
Not that you WOULD:shoot: but you could even drop the IDI in a ...............chebby:eek:

I have been considering the IDI/Bronco merge for the past 5 years;)
The frames appear to be similiar to a std cab short box p/u.
Of course my build up includes the 10.25 rear/Dana60 front, bolt action tranny on a '95/'96 Bronco.
Even thought of the license plate.........

Attachments

• dezlbronc.jpg
    dezlbronc.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 113

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
Lorne-

I have always had really good luck with my Fords, body and engine, and all. I have just recently come to terms with the fact that I have to have a tow vehicle that I can trust not only with me traveling in and out of town, but also with my family in the back seat. I'd like to keep my truck...in fact, I will keep it. It just needs some TLC that I can only give it if she don't move for a while, and the C conversion would just top off an already great rig.

George...

I would never put anything in the frame of a chebby except a wrecking ball...:moon: :D . Too many friends have had WAY too many probs with them. Besides, I'm like you, wanting to go with the 10.25/50 or 60 combo also. In fact, I have a 10.25 ready for a truck, and will use the 60 out of the Ghost, and replace that with a 50 TTB (better ride in the 1 ton).

Oh well, we'll see in the next few weeks how things go and whether or not I get ticked off enough at the pickup to tear her apart again or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online

No members online now.