Aftermarket gauge ideas. 6.9 & 7.3

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two alternators what kind of vehicle is that on?

Different question with all the different gauge setup is there a certain reading like digital or analog instructions as where everything should be as in normal. reason I'm a novice at guessing where things should besides the stock gauges that are funky some times.

Cutaway vans used for ambulances and buses often had two alternators. Mine was a bus and also had two ACs.

As for what is normal. The factories deliberately don't give specific data in their instruments. The oil pressure gauge in my PSD has a needle that goes up when the engine starts, so it appears to be analog. But the sensor is just a switch and there is a resister in the dashboard that sets the needle at "normal". I am working on making it a real meter.

Do a search on each meter for your vehicle and you will find more info than you want.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you been running the CN speed gauge long? Are you using any of there other gauges? Are they any good?

It has a few hundred miles on it and seems dependable. I did not know it had a key-on voltage check until I installed it.

I have gauges from several vendors, all Chinese. So far one was erratic as a fuel gauge and one had a dead sensor. They are all low cost. I buy samples. If I install one and it works, I buy spares.

I used a different gauge in my 65 EFI Mustang because I need to know when fuel pressure is up before I attempt to start. After a couple hours on a hot freeway and a stop, fuel seems to boil off and needs to be "re-primed". And FiTech only runs the pump for a few seconds if you don't start. So without knowing fuel pressure I could be re-priming while cranking.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I used a different gauge in my 65 EFI Mustang because I need to know when fuel pressure is up before I attempt to start. After a couple hours on a hot freeway and a stop, fuel seems to boil off and needs to be "re-primed". And FiTech only runs the pump for a few seconds if you don't start. So without knowing fuel pressure I could be re-priming while cranking.
I know that it's not the same thing, but when I had my 84 Mustang with a CFI 3.8, I would turn the key on and let the pump run until it built enough fuel pressure to shut off. Then I'd start the engine. It always seemed to start easier this way.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that it's not the same thing, but when I had my 84 Mustang with a CFI 3.8, I would turn the key on and let the pump run until it built enough fuel pressure to shut off. Then I'd start the engine. It always seemed to start easier this way.
Since owning diesel trucks, I've gotten into the habit of starting every vehicle I drive, that way.

I've noticed that even my old gas camry starts better now...

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I did my 4bt conversion in the Ranger, I went full scorched earth on the gauges since the factory ones are all lies anyway.
Working with ABS plastic is fun, and easier than you might guess. Im sure this is bigger than what you are thinking, but I just wanted to share that making a pod be what you want it to be isnt too bad.

You must be registered for see images attach

Oh my God!!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Since owning diesel trucks, I've gotten into the habit of starting every vehicle I drive, that way.

I've noticed that even my old gas camry starts better now...
It really seems to make a difference on gas engines with EFI.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a question in the same line.

Assuming you had a 92 7.3 NA... Bone stock. And you could only add 3 gauges... What 3 gauges would you add?

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a question in the same line.

Assuming you had a 92 7.3 NA... Bone stock. And you could only add 3 gauges... What 3 gauges would you add?

Oil pressure, coolant temp, trans temp

It’s actually a hard decision for me between trans temp and fuel pressure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online