Afghanistan and almost home!

McGIDI

Reaction score
Hey guys im currently in afghanistan and im saving and saving. I am gonna have to do an injection pump and injectors and probly return set up when i get home. US diesel parts looks like they got BB code injectors and pretty good pumps... also that is the price im looking to spend on pump and injectors. I am going to build a custom turbo kit in my garage when i get back with an old hx 35 that i have with like 10k miles on it. I have a 85 f250 regular cab 6.9 with the t19, I have had powerstrokes in the past but nothing quite as fun as this truck. I wanted to know you guys thoughts on the place im getting the parts and what yall think about the turbo set up. I am new to IDI's i have only owned the truck 8 months and bout it with 190k it doesnt like to start in the cold and surges after i do get it started and then dies so i need to figure out that problem as well. Thank you guys for your time!!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and thank you for serving. I really salute all of our brave members serving over there. Now about where you bought the parts. We like to recommend what we know to be the best for the money. The two members here named typ4 or agnem will give you way more than any ebay site. Both russ and mel are honest members here and have been for a long time. Mel actually owns conestoga Diesel Injection Servive. in Pa. He builds the Moose Pumps and injecters. So if you have already bought someplace else.. Well best of luck.. Not all other shops will cheat you. Many will in several differant ways. An example is the parts to rebuild an injecter will cost more than a new one... So how are these ebay sellers passing off a rebuilt injecter set for around $120.00.. They just clean them and possibiliy set the pop pressures. The same thing happens in the pumps too. Sounds like you have some differant ideas. Hopefully this forum can help you make it happen. Surely this engine will need a set of ARP head studs. Otherwise you may have some issues keeping the heads on the block... Thanks again for serving..

McGIDI

Reaction score
man i would love some moose parts... a pump and a set of injectors... i really just want a little better than stock parts. But im just worried about price cause most of my money goes to my wife and kiddos but i will just be trying to make a reliable tow pig. I dont know how to legitmately time it with the luminosity probe but im sure i can find a diesel shop around sumter SC to do it and if not maybe in columbia... i get 15 mpg smoking and it smells like straight unburnt fuel... i plan on doing a full injector return kit after intalling the injectors.... Now i am always moving around alot so dont have to do research but i have my heart on changing injectors and pump and then electric pump maybe a FASS set up or something... i got to figure out what kind of prices we are talking. Again thank you for the info. I will stud it definatly. Once i get some prices i will start working stuff out and try and get them purchased and sitting at the house waiting for me to make it home. I want 20 mpg on the highway out of it. 130 hp to the wheels N/A Thats the big goal!!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome...

Really sounds like your doing well by home...that's great.

Now onto things, you can get a reman pump...or a REAL reman pump by someone who cares about these trucks like few others...

Mel and his Moose, or Baby Moose are just great for stock of turbo engines, you'll get top shelf service from Mel and if you have the injectors pulled you pretty much need to redo return lines then....it's not a I'll do it later...it's do it all at once, as it's just a few dollars more to be DONE RIGHT...

Good luck with the truck and have fun with it.

Al

McGIDI

Reaction score
Thank you man yah i dont ever just replace a part by itself unless i am really pinching pennies. Should i just PM them or something. Idk when i will be gone next from Home station here. I am trying to get as much info as possible fast. What other simple mods can i do other than typical air flow stuff and pump and injectors. I have been eye'ballin a zf5 to put behind the 6.9 i have heard of it being done. just want a truck that i can cruise a little faster thatn 60 mph and get good mpg... and rip on it every now and then ;)

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya when i got my pump (Mel/agnem) and injectors (Russ/typ4) I just pmd them.
Since im in Canada I had bought a core ip from a member here on ob and he sent it to Mel, it was cheaper to do this b/c of crossborder duty and the fact that my truck would have had to be down for awhile.
I have read on here that the zf5s are the way to go when it comes to the trannys mated to these beastly engines we all love. Stay safe and hope to see some pics soon

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The FASS fuel system will not do anything for our idi fuel systems. A good electric lift pump and a baby or junior moose pump with a set of BB code injecters. Thats going to make the truck run very nicely.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you might want to drop in on the advertiser's section here. I believe Mel has a reman set of injectors going very competitive against US diesel.
if you're smelling raw fuel out the tailpipe, you have some problems that a pump and injectors can take care of.

McGIDI

Reaction score
its not raw fuel just stronger than normal smell of fuel... compression is good and everything... they are the original injectors and pump... haha she's tired... time to put some life back in her