AC replacement

Trikebent

Reaction score
I'm replacing the factory air-conditioning in Clifford (1988 XLT) Truck still had a non functional original R12 system, appeared to be unconverted, no evidence of R134. The belt for the compressor was missing when I bought the truck. Otherwise the system was intact. There was a tiny bit of pressure in the system. I'm replacing all components with new. Using a Sanden 709 compressor in place of the original. FS6. Brackets for the Sanden are fabbed and ready to go. Also using a 1994 parallel flow condenser. Question, is the orifice attached to the original condenser outlet? There is a brass fitting 3"-4" long between the condenser and the hose to the evaporator with what looks like a brass orifice inside I have new evaporator and receiver/ dryer to install. haven't pulled the evaporator and dryer yet. I've previously done conversions on 2 Mazda pickups with the 90 deg/capillary type expansion valve that worked fine. I have a good vacuum pump and 134 ac service gauges.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The orifice is in the evaporator core tubing. It's a long plastic thing with a screen in it. Here's a picture of where it goes.

You must be registered for see images attach

Trikebent

Reaction score
That's what I thought. Does anyone know the function of the part between the condenser outlet and the high pressure hose to the evaporator?

rvitko

Reaction score
Do you mean the reciever dryer? It has a dessicant bag in it that removes any moisture, it also filters the oil/refrigerant. They are generally considered one time use, if the system is opened, it gets replaced.

rvitko

Reaction score
On the orifice, save yourself a lot of headaches and buy/rent the orifice removal tool. Despite how they look with the loop on the end, the top will just rip off and leave the base in there and if the seat gets damaged in the slightest, it won't cool, you can't do much digging around in there to pry it out without ruining the coil. This was my first orifice type AC system as well, used to a capillary/expansion valve.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you do get it stuck and your ready to replace the whole evaporator unit, blow compressed air in the other end of the evaporator and slowly heat the pipe its in with a propane torch evenly, I've had 2 get stuck and got both out this way though it's definitely a last resort.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've converted my ac, and that orifice can be a pain sometimes. What do yall think about capacity? I've added 2.7lbs with good results, but unsure if that's too low/too high for these rigs.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any particular reason you went with a sanden compressor? How does the output compare to the original FS6?

When you pull out the old orifice tube, pay close attention to any debris in there. Would be a shame to have debris from the old compressor kill the new one. It wasn't cheap, but I replaced everything when I put a new compressor in my truck. Hoses, evap, drier, condenser...Everything!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought. Does anyone know the function of the part between the condenser outlet and the high pressure hose to the evaporator?
That's for assembly. The system comes to the assembly line charged and ready to go. When a worker installs the system then screws that fitting together it completes the circuit and the ac system is ready to go. Saves time vs charging a system after the truck is built.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's fasinating.
That's for assembly. The system comes to the assembly line charged and ready to go. When a worker installs the system then screws that fitting together it completes the circuit and the ac system is ready to go. Saves time vs charging a system after the truck is built.

Trikebent

Reaction score
David85- Went with Sanden for availability. Displacement per revolution is about 10%:less than the FS6. The Sanden pulley is 1" smaller. Higher compressor RPM makes up the difference.
I'm putting in all new parts. Condenser, hoses, evaporator, orifice tube, accumulator, everything.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you sourcing your parts from? I'm looking to do the same from Rockauto but they don't offer the accuulator(?) I'm new to the AC stuff.

Trikebent

Reaction score
RockAuto has both styles of accumulator/dryer for my 1988. Factory ac uses an accumulator, GPD 411339 for example, dealership install ac uses a reciever/dryer, like the 4 Seasons 33483. I have the factory ac. I have not installed the new accumulator, so I don't know if it will fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01