A stray thought: IDI's greatest hits

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had one of those stray thoughts I get now and again. Usually these are quite strange, possibly dangerous, and occasionally brilliant which doesn't preclude the previous two.

Anyways, I'm thinking putting together a bunch of sound files on various bad or odd noises the IDI engine makes and possible fixes may be useful. Collect all the favorites like "rod knock", "bad injector part I, II, and III", "Crunchy Transmission" and other such great sounds. Hear a noise? Listen and see if it sounds like this to get some hints, that sort of thing. Plus someone describes a noise as a ticking sound you could reference the sound files.

Just a thought.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
broken flexplate! now there's one to get your heart pumping.i shoulda recorded that for ya lol.like a diesel engine on steroids.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
@rotarydragon

If you have the video editing software and can rip from YouTube, we could all post our links for you to rip and edit. This would be an excellent addition to the tech section and really help with diagnosis, particularly with first time diesel owners.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think this is a great idea,
but why not just upload a video, that way people have audio and visual?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking. Pull video/sound clip segments from various videos illustrating the different sounds and accompany then with on screen text labeling the core problem. All mashed up into one video.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An OB mashup...saweet...

Might have some chuffin vid iirc...definatly got post kaboom vid with nfg engine....

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just let me know when you get things uploaded and the links to it and I'll start putting it together.

Glad to know I had a good idea. Don't worry, I won't let it go to my head!

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
once this is done, I'm mixing them together and putting a catastrophic failure sound at the end

FYI: I have access to the sound system at the local drag strip :sly :rotflmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online