A little off topic but I'am surprised how heavy

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
My brother borrowed a 04 F-450 to haul some scrap metal and I was looking at the weigh scale slip and the tare weight on the 04 is 1000lbs heavier than my truck :confused:

Heres the thing my truck has a 12x8 steel flatdeck with wood decking and its 161wb truck IDI power of course. Now the 04 has the same wheelbase it has a 10.5 aluminum flatdeck and its a 2wd 6.0 auto.

What I can't figure out why does the 04 weigh 1000lbs more than my truck is the Superduty Cabs that much heavier ?

I know its off topic but I was wondering :Sly

Both trucks have 15,000lb gvws so technically I can haul 1000lbs more but that is beside the point. I can see why the owner of the truck says its too heavy to drive around as a daily driver it weighs 8700lbs and my truck is 7700lbs.

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about it KW. Its okay to be of topic as long as you put in the "just wondering" disclaimer.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you had your truck on the same scale? The older trucks do have heavier materials used in their construction, so I would be surprised that a new truck would outweigh an old one of identical configuration.

ajd257

Reaction score
my brother has a 99 supercab shortbed PSD. it wieghs 6800 and my truck only wieghs 6450, and its a long bed. kinda the same thing, I dont get it??

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel. Driver on board. Tires? Spare present? There are a lot of small things that could make up the difference.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I can't figure it out because the 04 truck is a 2wd it has a much lighter flatdeck being aluminum and its shorter. The fuel tank prolly holds the same amount of fuel as mine. I find it really odd the truck weighs 1000lbs heavier than mine. I know the tare weight on my truck from the landfill scale which is bang on or close to the same everytime I scale out.

Its no big deal as I said before I can't believe the Superduty cabs themselves are that much heavier. The 19.5 wheels and tires can't add up that much weight over 16" baby budd wheels.

I personally like the pre 99 body style anyhow its what I will prolly buy next something in the 91-97 range I'am not overly fond of the brick body style of the 88-91 but they are not ugly. Atleast Ford changed their body design not like Dodge I think they had the same front clip design since the early 80s LOL

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Pacific said:
I can't figure it out because the 04 truck is a 2wd it has a much lighter flatdeck being aluminum and its shorter. The fuel tank prolly holds the same amount of fuel as mine. I find it really odd the truck weighs 1000lbs heavier than mine. I know the tare weight on my truck from the landfill scale which is bang on or close to the same everytime I scale out.

Its no big deal as I said before I can't believe the Superduty cabs themselves are that much heavier. The 19.5 wheels and tires can't add up that much weight over 16" baby budd wheels.

I personally like the pre 99 body style anyhow its what I will prolly buy next something in the 91-97 range I'am not overly fond of the brick body style of the 88-91 but they are not ugly. Atleast Ford changed their body design not like Dodge I think they had the same front clip design since the early 80s LOL

Well the engine i know weighs a bit more than ours, especially wet, and the transmission weighs alot more too.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course! It's the COMPUTER! Probably in some kind of hardened titanium alloy chassis. Very tough. Very smart... oh wait, I'm thinking of that Terminator movie I just watched. LOL