a lilltle help making a choice

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
i have a 93 f350 and i need to replace the cab and bed of wich i have found a cab for $250 and bed $550.
or a 94 f350 4 door drw for $1900 and just drop my idi and trans in to that one.

what would be the best way to go?
I have done engine and trans swaps before (in gassers) but never had a cab off a truck so all the info i can get would be great.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with 4 door duallies?

Less manueverable, more tires to buy, higher rolloing resistance (more fuel). I don't have a family to haul around.
If I did a lot more towing and or had a big family (or even more than one friend) I might justify it.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Less manueverable, (not that big of a deal). more tires to buy (but the dually looks cooler ;), higher rolloing resistance (more fuel) (I get 17.5 mpg). I don't have a family to haul around.
If I did a lot more towing and or had a big family (or even more than one friend) I might justify it.

I would buy the '94 as trucks from Michigan never rust :D

Then sell the engine and transmission and recoup about $800.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would buy the '94 as trucks from Michigan never rust :D

Then sell the engine and transmission and recoup about $800.
I agree. And it takes almost twice as long for duals to wear down unless you're some idiot going around doing burnouts all the time. I maneuver trucks with trailers just like a little car. So I guess I'm just used to it. As far as mileage, it's not like there's some 10mpg difference between them. We buy these trucks for work. If you want something with good mileage, get a red Prius and call it a ****** on wheels.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Also it may just be me but it seems like every dually I drive has a sharper turning radius. My 79 chevy will damn near turn on dime.

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
it is not a verry big step up from what i have now witch is a 93 ex cab long bed drw. so the 4 doors make me what 16 inchs longer.

Last edited:

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would go with the 4 door, love my 95 4dr long bed (gasser... but hey, its got a 351 roller block in it, and will house my 7.3 when i finish that expensive rebuild)

I have a family and 2 pit bulls to tug around... but working construction even when im gone all week alone i LOVE having the extra doors to hold tools and my clothes and such for the week. They extra room is well worth it, and the movability and all that is just moot points. Drive what you want, drive what you like. for me the bigger the better! Love my bronco, but having driven my truck a couple months now... i cant believe i used the bronco as a work truck for so long, the truck makes loading and unloading so much easier.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a 93 f350 and i need to replace the cab and bed of wich i have found a cab for $250 and bed $550.
or a 94 f350 4 door drw for $1900 and just drop my idi and trans in to that one.

what would be the best way to go?
I have done engine and trans swaps before (in gassers) but never had a cab off a truck so all the info i can get would be great.

Ok so you have a couple of choices and you need to make those before going any further,

Both jobs require effort, neither are a simple swap but if you have done engines/gassers...you can do diesels too...

Body swaps so long as bolts come out are relatively easy too.

So really what this comes down to is choice of truck....

Once you decide which truck you want, then you go with that and the path it takes you.

We can assist both directions with information and suggestions as to making the job as smooth as you can.

So focus on what truck/cab/chassis configuration you want and proceed to follow that path.

JM2CW

Al

EDIT,

I'll add I've done both and then some, and neither one is any more difficult than the other....turning wrenches is just that....engines or bodies....nuts n bolts don't know which it's on!

I'm doing a cab swap myself here in while, no big deal...really easy stuff for me I'll say!

Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance