A/C question.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
When I am idling in traffic, my A/C works ok. When I am driving though, it works a lot better, about 20* cooler when driving. Last year my fan clutch was a suspect but I replaced it and nothing changed. I am still running R12 if that matters. Any ideas? :dunno

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without the volume of air the system cannot be as effecient so you will see a difference. For this reason is why most cars nowadays have an electric fan to pull air through even sitting still.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Put an electric pusher fan on rigged to come on with the ac. Your fan clutch doesn;t lock up till the engine gets REAL hot till then it only draws minimal air through the condenser

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
If I run the fan through a relay, would I be able to trigger it by tapping into the wires on the A/C compressor or do I need to get the signal somewhere else?

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I would run the relay off the a/c compressor signal. Not only does it only run when the AC does, but, it's also diode protected.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd tap into the pressure switch hot side for a trigger. This way the fan runs continuous even if the compressor is cycling on/off.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Where is that located in the system?

The switch on the accumulator . You want to find the cold leg of it when the thing is unplugged and use that for the trigger wire for a standard bosch relay, then run your constant hot from the batt through a circuit breaker to the relay and you're in business

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
The switch on the accumulator . You want to find the cold leg of it when the thing is unplugged and use that for the trigger wire for a standard bosch relay, then run your constant hot from the batt through a circuit breaker to the relay and you're in business
I will borrow a fan and see if it helps.

You may be low on R12
I bought an A/C thermometer that came with a pencil type pressure guage for the A/C. I tried to use it but get a different reading each time.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
sparksandfire, are you into Torino's? I have had a dozen or more 70' and 71's. Some very rare ones also.

I'd love to get my hands on a '70 or '71 one of these days!

I've wanted one of those for a real long time! ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I will borrow a fan and see if it helps.

I bought an A/C thermometer that came with a pencil type pressure guage for the A/C. I tried to use it but get a different reading each time.

It will give a different static reading depending on the ambiant temperature outside. REfrigerant pressure changes with temp.