A/C problem

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
this is for my 01 Yukon but should apply to an idi as well. Well, to make a long story short I replaced my compressor the other day. I flushed out the lines and condenser as well. I also replaced the orifice tube. I did not replace the accumulater or coil. The oil and coolant were filled to specs and low and high pressures were good. While driving to SC today the pop off valve on the compressor let loose and all my 134A is floating around WV somewhere. Is this caused by a clog somewhere? I should add too that the vent temp. never got below 60 at 20000 rpm. Not that it did before. Thanks in advance even though its a gm. :puke:

zrexryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like it mite have been over charged. a little warn on the vent temps are suspect. I just replaced mine on my 01 tahoe last week also. driving vent temps are 47'

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Did you vacuum it down at all?

You really need to change the reciever drier when you do a compressor.

Also check your fan clutch. Most those generation GM trucks and SUV's eat compressors due to bad fan clutches. Theres a TSB out for that.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
What oil spec did u use? If you didn't change.the accumulator it prollyalready had oil. You should always change it when you change compressors as well.

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
Did you vacuum it down at all?

You really need to change the reciever drier when you do a compressor.

Also check your fan clutch. Most those generation GM trucks and SUV's eat compressors due to bad fan clutches. Theres a TSB out for that.

vacuumed for over an hour. Clutch is good. Looks like I need an accumulater/drier and try again. Everyone says to replace the condensor but it flushed clean.

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
What oil spec did u use? If you didn't change.the accumulator it prollyalready had oil. You should always change it when you change compressors as well.

Specd synthetic oil. Too much oil case the problem? Compressor had some in it when replaced and I added partial can. Should I buy the liquid and dump of in the new accumulater/drier instead of adding of through the low pressure port?

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
who supplied the compressor? I have had some loosers lately crom the parts stores. dealing with one right now that the compressor puts out too much pressure with only five ounces of r134a in it. head pressure goes to 400 any more and it blows off the pop-off. changed the compressor to the one on my truck and problem solved. now trying to get company to honor warranty.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
The oil charge doesn't usually work well as you over saturate the system with oil in all the wrong places.

Change the drier, take compressor out and dump out all oil while turning compressor and measure what you take out.

Your 01 should have a seperate belt and tensioner just for the ac compressor. When you suck in a oil charge though the low side there is a good chance you damaged the valves in the compressor. The delco/delphi compressors for these trucks don't come precharged with oil. the denso models do. Both call for a total of 8oz of high viscosity pag in the system for those with only front air, 11 for dual systems.

What brand compressor are you using? Like said above i have had bad luck with aftermarket compressors.