A?C compressor

MedicMoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to the local pick-n-pull today to see what was new. I acuired an near new A/C compressor, brackets and both hoses for 90.00 bucks. My truck did not have any of them. Now i just new a belt and 134a. 2lbs and 12 ounce is indicated on the decal. I'm going to throw in some compressor oil too. any tips?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You need to replace the dryer as posted and the orfice tube. Probably gonna need the special tool to seperate the hose to reach the tube. Also your going to need to pull a vacuum on the system to get the freon in properly. Heres a neat trick to building a vacuum pump to pull vacuum on anything. Find any broken cold water fountain or refirgerater. I like the smaller ones but any kitchen model works fine. Remove the compresser being careful about the compressed freon probably still in the system. Just cut loose the supply and return freon lines from the frig. Now plug in the compresser to 110 volts being careful that trapped oil may squirt out on e of the cut lines. One side sucks and the other side blows... Now weld on with whatever you have the type of fittings you need to evacuate the ac system. Those fittings can be taken from many cars, trucks or buy them at any good ac shop. If you can't weld them to the copper lines off the pump JB weld will work too. I use silver soldier on mine. I bought the fitting from an ac shop and they fit my charge manifold. Then you just connect all this to the high and low sides and pull vacuum on the ac system. Shut down the pump and close off the valves. Watch for about 15 to 30 minutes. If it drops vacuum any amount you have a leak... Find and repair. Sometimes its one of your threaded manifold connections seal has gone bad. Now any refrig compresser works great as a vacuum pump. So does the cold water coolers that we drink cold water from. Neat trick...:sly:D

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
I made a adapter for my vacume pump... Gauge and a 7 hour drive it was ready for a charge. stillhave the old r12, charged it up vent temps on a good and hot day are in the high 30s

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
That's about what I was guessing. Too rich for me. But would be sweet to get some.
Is there any truth to it not being compatible with the new stuff? Or is that just what they're telling us so they can make it obsolete?

No its not compatible with the new sheit...

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
Another thing, do you happen to know what year the fridges and freezers and home ac's quit using it? Or is it completely different stuff also?

They stopped using 12 in the early days... Moved to 22 up until they came out with 134a now everything's going to 410a which is supposed to be a direct replacement.for 22. None of which is compatable together

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
They stopped using 12 in the early days... Moved to 22 up until they came out with 134a now everything's going to 410a which is supposed to be a direct replacement.for 22. None of which is compatable together
I had read about people collecting it from older fridges and stuff to use in cars. Probably didn't know what they were doing.
I'm guessing you do hvac work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online