A/C Compressor Removel?

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awhile ago the a/c compressor ceesed up. So i just took the belt of and forgot about it.

Well now i want to rework my ram air, and it would be nice to just ditch the compressor all together to make room.

So can i just disconnect the lines, and leave them or what do i do with them? Cap them some how?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your not planning on keeping it, I wouldn't mind having it as a core. I'll be INstalling A/C in the Bronco this spring.

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't plan on keeping it i just want it out of the engine bay.

I just don't know what to do with the lines.

Also if i took the A/C compressor off would it affect the heater. I need the heater. ;Sweet

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you plan on ever using the air conditioning again?

If so, I would close the valves on the manifold (the part that bolts to the compressor; 2 bolts hold each manifold on) and then disconnect and secure the lines elsewhere.

But, if you intend on permanently ditching the A/C (not what I would do from a comfort and a resale perspective, but to each his own), you can remove the lines altogether. This'll get them out of the way for any other engine work you need to do. Prior to pulling the heads and whatnot on my truck, I removed every component of my a/c system in order to get it all out of the way (also to flush out each individual component prior to getting the system operational again)...it actually wasn't that big of a task.

If you pull the lines and just leave them hanging, the a/c system WILL die (seals hardening up, water entering the system and rusting things up, etc)...so, I would either leave the valves shut and keep the charge, or ditch it entirely.

Whichever way you go, make sure you have the a/c system (or just the compressor if you decide to leave the lines on) evacuated by a shop before you go any further. This is for legal reasons. Or, if you still have an R-12 system and there's someone nearby with a vacuum pump and a need for a recharge, maybe you could transfer the freon to someone elses' truck? R-12 is getting pricy these days...

Just some thoughts...good luck!

Regarding the heater, you can pull the a/c evaporator (where the two a/c lines attach in the heater box) and still have a properly functioning heater. However, you'll want to seal up the holes where the a/c lines went in...

BTW, Mel, if you can't get his core, I still have the old compressor out of my truck sitting around doing nothing...the clutch is bad, but it was otherwise in decent shape when I pulled it. In retrospect, I should have just pulled the clutch off the compressor from Cops' truck and installed it on my compressor, but I didn't have the tools...such is life, eh? ;)

Last edited:

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if i'm reading this right i can just go out,and take all the lines off and compressor and not have to worry. Or do i have to block the lines.

I don't plan on having a/c again so it all can come off and in to the garbage

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's all going bye-bye, there's no need to block the lines. For legal reasons, you should still have the system evacuated before pulling everything apart.

Also, before tossing it all in the garbage, it would be worthwhile to post all the parts as being available in the Virtual Boneyard (under the "Marketplace" forum on the main list here). As they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure. The dryer should definitely be tossed, but the lines may still be usable, and certainly the evaporator and condenser can be re-used once they're cleaned out. There may be someone who's trying to add a/c to his rig (i.e. Mel, but I would guess that the Moosestang already has the a/c setup and he just needs the IDI compressor) who would see your parts as the motherlode...

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are indeed never going to use the system again, you can disconnect the lines at the heater box. No need to plug anything. I'm certain somebody would be happy to have the compressor and lines. You should also remove the condensor core in front of the radiator. It will only be slowing down airflow...

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
The compressor has nothing to do with the heater system. You can remove everything related to the Compressor, including, evaporator, condensor, accumlator.

You'll still want your blower motor for the heat. The heat runs through the heater core and is separte from the evaporator.

If you ever have hot rainy days, I bet you'll wish you kept your A/C :eek: