a 2nd International in the stable?

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
as i've already posted over at BOOB, i've been offered a '79? Scout II 'project truck' - "cheap". anybody here know Scout's? point me in the direction of a decent Scout forum? i've always loved these, but know less about them than i do women.

word is: ran like a champ until parked last year due to rusty brakes (lines, i think?), now - gas tank, & possible carb attention needed.
obviously, body has cancer bad, but the interior looks nice (not a single tear), & it alledgedly passed Northern VA emissions testing last year.
what i know so far: AT, 4wd Hi/Lo, 2nd owner (my Co. President/Owner), very good friend was last mechanic (i trust him immensely - that's him with the ****-eating grin & 2 hands pointing)), i also know for a fact that rust never sleeps! (check out the windshield support & rear glass - enlarge the 'front' pic to see the holes)
i don't know yet: year, mileage, engine, how cheap i can get it. i heard $500 & tried not to spew beer - i was at work.

any advice or re-direction is appreciated.

Attachments

• scoutfronttds.JPG
    scoutfronttds.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 6
  • scoutrightreartds.JPG
    scoutrightreartds.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 8
  • scoutshawndonnietds.JPG
    scoutshawndonnietds.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 13
  • scoutleftreartds.JPG
    scoutleftreartds.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 3
  • scoutdashtds.JPG
    scoutdashtds.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
;Sweet What's holding you back? the engine compartment should be large enough to swallow a IDI. Not to mention the 345 in there now is the smaller brother found in large trucks. If the floorboards aren't rotten, I see plow gear up front, GO FOR IT!!!!!1 ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank, call Hoaks 4wheel drive in Hellam PA. 717-252-3602. Press 1 for sales. Ask for Tray. Somebody used to make fiberglass bodies for these. Maybe they are still available. He will know. If not, he may know of some resources you could check into. BTW, they are an authorized Gear Vendors dealer. ;)

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Another thing, that 345 doesn't weigh much less than our 444. Hmmmmmm.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
F350camper said:
Another thing, that 345 doesn't weigh much less than our 444. Hmmmmmm.
Hmmmmmmmm is right :Sly you're starting to remind me of Mel - spending my money! & thanks for the 'binder' link... quick glance & i think it's the best i've seen yet. thanks, Mel, too - i'll call 'em.
and towcat - what's holding me back?
1) 1966 Buick Riviera GS (cherry) - 425 nailhead w/ matching numbers. just needs a water pump, PS pump & small **** - in attached garage
2) 1960 Caddy 4dr series 62 - 390, it ran last about... oh i guess the same time Reagan was saving the world from communism. parked it when some felon broke every piece of glass on it - right in my driveway. that's in my detached garage.
3) 1992 daily driver IDI / 235k miles with a brand new fear of (please no!) possible signs of cavitation - hopefully baseless, since i read it on the internet :bs

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and towcat - what's holding me back?
1) 1966 Buick Riviera GS (cherry) - 425 nailhead w/ matching numbers. just needs a water pump, PS pump & small **** - in attached garage
----------------------------------------------------------------
Well................

I can help with the Buick :D ;Sweet :D Being a '73 GS 455 stage1 owner(2cars), I can sure understand "different" buicks :D I'll be back to TX by month's end and that is where is my gooseneck trailer is at. All i gotta do is hook up and head east and your little Buick problem can be quickly solved! :D :D :D

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not a bad looking Scout for 5 bills...

There's another forum for IHC....oldihctrucks.com, or something like that.

also, the guys on Pirate4x4 are probably the most active fixers/modifiers around...and possibly a source for parts.

Richard

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
towcat said:
Well................
I can help with the Buick... All i gotta do is hook up and head east and your little Buick problem can be quickly solved! :D :D :D

thanks so much! what a kind offer --- :draw TRY IT!

and Richard - all i could find was oldihc.org , & it doesn't look like that's it. thanks, though.

Attachments

• riv.JPG
    riv.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 3

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow...nice looking car !

I had a '67 GTO for a while, way back when.... :biggrin:

that pic reminds me of it....that kind of 60's "lines".

yah, oldihc.org sounds right. you should've found forums on there, and classifieds.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
preesh on the kudos - i like her. from different angles, she's reminiscent of the (original) goat, challenger (one buddy calls it the 'General Lee'), monte carlo... i've just always loved the lines of a Buick.
<a side note> 340hp / 465 ft/lbs torque & this wasn't a muscle car - it was billed as a luxury car :D !

all i saw on that link was OOOOOLD IHC pickups - no Scouts, but i'll take a closer look. i'm known to overlook the obvious sometimes

[EDIT!!!] 340HP, NOT 425 - it's a 425 cid nailhead.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
preesh on the kudos - i like her. from different angles, she's reminiscent of the (original) goat, challenger (one buddy calls it the 'General Lee'), monte carlo... i've just always loved the lines of a Buick.
<a side note> 425hp / 465 ft/lbs torque & this wasn't a muscle car - it was billed as a luxury car

Guess you haven't tried one of the old kenne-bell grinds for HP and a dual quad manifold with 700 cfm carter's.....we'll talk "luxury car" when the rice burner gets their butt handed to them. 12.3 in the quarter :D

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
did you know that Buick offered dual quads as an option on the early Riv's? maybe even up through the 'boattail' '71-'73s? i know '65 & '66 had the same torque, but 360hp. me? - a single Rochester 4. it is a Buick Wildcat powereplant - older brother to yours :D

only 5718 Riv GS's made in '66 - couldn't say how rare the 8bbl is. with 255's & posi, i need help to smoke the tires (but that's a real pretty sight :D when i do it). book says 16.4 / quarter, but i don't drive her fast, so i wouldn't know. :rotflmao :peelout :rotflmao

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
did you know that Buick offered dual quads as an option on the early Riv's? maybe even up through the 'boattail' '71-'73s? i know '65 & '66 had the same torque, but 360hp. me? - a single Rochester 4. it is a Buick Wildcat powereplant - older brother to yours :D

only 5718 Riv GS's made in '66 - couldn't say how rare the 8bbl is. with 255's & posi, i need help to smoke the tires (but that's a real pretty sight :D when i do it). book says 16.4 / quarter, but i don't drive her fast, so i wouldn't know. :rotflmao :peelout :rotflmao
Dual quads is a parts counter deal. That ended when the nailhead got replaced by my generation BB. BTW, dual quads only happened with Carters. The quadrajet wasn't as friendly to the dual quad option since the feul inlet was front and center.......I can bore you to death with Buick info :D .....been playing with Buicks since I was 13. 22yrs in the auto parts business and engine machine shop helped me build some wickedly fast Buicks. have you checked out www.v8buick.com ? Its about as addicting as OB and TDS....but only if you are a Buick nut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online