'99 SD bogging/smoking

gregpro50

Reaction score
I have a '99 F-250 7.3 powerstroke. 180k miles on it. All stock.

The truck runs great when it is cold. Once the engine warms up and is under load when driving it will start bogging down and losing power while throwing out some blueish colored smoke from the exhaust.

The problem is even worse if you downshift to second to let the engine brake the truck while going down a hill. When you hit the gas again it acts like the engine wants to quit and throws out a huge cloud of blueish smoke.

If you stop the truck and put it in neutral and punch the throttle it seems to clear itself out and run fine again.

I originally thought it was a problem with the injector harness but I did the Ohm test to the pins and everything is within specs.

Can someone point me in a direction here?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Welcome to Oilburners :cheers:

Not sure if the early Super Dutys had the issue with the EBPV closing at random but that is what I would disconnect first.

Also check the boost tube from the RB exh manfld to a sensor ----remove the tube and see if clogged with soot----common problem on the OBS PSD.

Hope this helps

gregpro50

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Do you know if there is a picture anywhere of these items so I know what I am looking for?

zpd307

Reaction score
there should be some pics out on the net. ebpv tube cleaning. it is easy to find, look at the front ofyour passenger side exhaust manifold. you will see a tube coming out of it and head up towards the front of the motor. followthe tube until it ends just above the water pump. there will be a sensor at the end. the tube will either be plugged up with soot of rusted through. the sensor will get plugged also. guzzle has an excellent write up on this... http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/ebps.php enjoy;Sweet

gregpro50

Reaction score
Found the problem and I thought I would let you guys know...

Oil foaming.

I'm guessing it is from silicone from some recent engine repairs.

Some Fleetrite anti-foam oil additive and the truck runs like new.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online