99 psd q's

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
ok tried a few searchs and can't find anything about this. I can't believe it's not already been asked but nothing came up.

I just purchased a 99 f350 dually 6 speed manual. the build date is nov 1998, so what is early and late 99? is there a # in the vin that designates the motor like duramax/ chevy's? I was wondering cause i wanted to get the bigger turbo like the 00 to 01's if this one has the smaller one.

any info is appreciated.

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
thanks and what is the cutoff date? I was looking at exhaust and they asked before nov or after nov 98 that's why i looked to know what downpipe I could use. 3" or 4" but the guy wasn't for sure. I bought this one because of the toyhauler i am towing now and my 95 pds 2wd just wasn't enough truck and It only has 140k on it but the dually I borrowed to tow the camper with was sooo much more stable w stock suspension versus what I add to my 95 ext cab.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
While not 100% accurate, one tell tell way is to look at the badging on the truck. Early 99 had the smallish "V8 Powerstroke" emblem on the fender by the headlights. The late 99s had the more conventional badging on the doors like the later trucks.

zpd307

Reaction score
12/98 is supposed to be the cutoff for the engine. 3/99 is the cutoff for the suspension. look at you intake spider, if you have the aih, air intake heater, you have a late 99 motor. the aih screws in and had a wire connected to it.

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
thanks for all the info guys and I just got the truck home late last night so I'll look today. the build date is 11-27-98 to be exact. it is a 99 f350 4x4 quad cab ext 6 speed manual dually with 3.73 ratio but doesn't say limited slip like my 95 and is mint for the most part. the air bag light is flashing and the dealer said it's the air bag computer I think it might be the pass on off switch personally with my experience with those systems, regardless won't be hard to fix. there are 2 scratches in the paint I will fix and then the paint will be 100%, the frame is just starting to show signs of corrosion through the factory black coating so I will treat that too since the crap they spray the roads with here in the winter is the most corrosive you'll find!!! it's eating the roads up bad and all after 3 years which was a salt gravel mix before. the truck only has 80k original miles on it and it is a 1 owner and this guy kept all receipts and all maintenance including oil changes were done at the ford dealership. 80 k on clutch and I will be pulling a camper so I will have to look into a better pulling clutch over the factory one sooner or later. does anyone know it that is still a zf trans or eaton? the factory innercooler plumbing boots are all showing some oily residue on both sides of the connection on the pipe so they will need to be changed too but it pulls damn good so far. i do have to say, pulling w/o gauges really is irritating!!!!!!

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
ok just tried to look at the turbo base where the stand bolts on, cannot see behind the turbo under the up pipes but I can see 4 bolts. the down pipe i was told was 3" on the early and well they didn't specify what part was 3" I guess. I am attaching pics. the down pipe with a micrometer measures 3" after it necks down but the larger part that the pipe is welded too that also attaches to the turbo is 3.5" I see no reason the pipe wasn't 3.5" to match from the factory.

also there is some kind of wire harness with fuse add that has a ford sticker on it. attaching pics as well. i bought this from Missouri and they are an emissions state so don't know if this is part of that and it does look like it was added after the fact.

I am attaching pics of the sticker on the turbo itself if anyone knows what those #'s are. the housing says 1.10 air.

You must be registered for see images attach

zpd307

Reaction score
i posted this pic of a late 99-03 intake spider. it opens up to a post, so scroll down just a little to the pic. the aih i spoke of earlier is on the left side of the black plastic pieces in the center of the spider. it has a heavy guage red wire going up to it and is fastened on with a nut. the aih actually screws into the intake spider. early 99s do not have the aih.... hopefully this will clear up any confusion.

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
thanks for the info and I will have to take a look when I get home tonight but I do not remember seeing those heavy gauge wires attached to the spider just the black part with the vacumm lines and 1 connector. what is the purpose of that aih?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• DVC01589.JPG
    DVC01589.JPG
    283.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited: