Revival of a 99 PSD

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m getting a 99 F350 that has been sitting for 8-10 years in all 4 seasons. I’m planning to try to bring it back to life in order to get it shipped home. PO parked it with about 400K on it. Said the transmission was going out so he regretfully parked it and bought a new truck.

What I’m wondering is what all should I bring in tools and parts in order to bring it back to life? Do I pull injectors and kroil the cylinders? New batteries are a given. Drain the tanks and fresh diesel? Anything else I need to be prepared to do to it?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Fill the tanks with fresh fuel, several new filters on hand, good batteries, send it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fill the tanks with fresh fuel, several new filters on hand, good batteries, send it.

No worries about dry cylinders, trickling injectors, HPOP? Or just hope those all work and find out after it cranks?

I talked to him again today. He said that it was running fine when he parked it, but the transmission was starting to slip and he worried it would fail him and he needed it for work. I'm looking into shipping it, but it's a crew/long with a lift going cross country. I don't think it will be cheap. Driving it looks like 800-1000 in gas.

But, I'm getting it for free and whatever it takes to get it to my house.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
But if the trans was slipping, you may not even make it half way. No way to know without taking the chance.
And no, just crank it and see how it feels.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries about dry cylinders, trickling injectors, HPOP? Or just hope those all work and find out after it cranks?

I talked to him again today. He said that it was running fine when he parked it, but the transmission was starting to slip and he worried it would fail him and he needed it for work. I'm looking into shipping it, but it's a crew/long with a lift going cross country. I don't think it will be cheap. Driving it looks like 800-1000 in gas.

But, I'm getting it for free and whatever it takes to get it to my house.

Is this a joke? slipping transmission and you want to drive it cross country?

If you really want the "free truck" (which in the long run it won't be, since it'll cost a couple grand to get it running), just find a vehicle hauler to move it in "non-running" condition and pay the bill.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a joke? slipping transmission and you want to drive it cross country?

If you really want the "free truck" (which in the long run it won't be, since it'll cost a couple grand to get it running), just find a vehicle hauler to move it in "non-running" condition and pay the bill.

You’d have to know the guy. Slipping could be nothing but an excuse to buy a new truck. He quit driving it before it ever cost him a delay or a tow. Just parked it and got a new truck. But if it’s slipping I wouldn’t try driving it. Just need it running to cut shipping costs down if it doesn’t feel safe to drive it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online