99 Powerstroke exhaust

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Well I cut that big boat anchor of a muffler off my truck last night and it runs damn good and sounds awesome! I want to put stacks on my truck. I want the aussie 5" stack kit from black cloud diesel. The exhaust on my truck is stock. Its 3.5" tubing. Should I leave that stock pipe on it and get the stack kit that fits my exhaust or should I do the full system and do 4"? What yall think?

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Yea. I can always go back and put 4in on it if i wanted to. Has anyone dealt with black cloud diesel? I dont know much about them. Or you guys have any opinions on where i should go to get a full system with stacks?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Spend the little extra money and do it right the first time. No point in doing stacks unless you're upgrading the downpipe and plumbing up to them anyway. Course I'm not a huge fan of stacks anyway...I'd rather be able to fart a cloud of coal onto the ********* in the right lane if I feel the need to. But that's just me.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Yea good point. Is it worth it to put 5" exhaust on it or is that not needed? I always think bigger is better. Im goin with 5" stacks for sure.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Yea I will check into them too. Thanks alot everyone. Well I will get a full 4" system then. It sounds really good with the 3.5 system already cant imagine what the 4" sounds like.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
That should sound even better then when I get the 5" stacks on it too hehe. Im waiting for my catalogs to see who has the best bang for your buck systems. Any ideas on who to go with? They have to have stack systems.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
The stack kit im lookin at has internal mufflers? Do they do this for sound or does these mufflers actually help with performance?

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
I think by DOT standard it needs something, but what passes as "muffler" is basically a spark arrestor

don't forget to slide your rain caps down a little to prevent that annoying "*****-*****-kachink" noise while idling at stoplights...

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I know ks doesnt check emissions so i would be good. Everyone says diesels run better without mufflers yet some of these aftermarket systems have mufflers. Id have to think they are some kind of performance muffler but do they acutally make it run better? I'd rather have no muffler.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Generally, when you buy a performance exhaust you have the option to have a muffler or not because some states may require it. The mufflers are usually designed to reduce noise without reducing flow and are usually of a straight through design. I had the muffler on my MBRP 4" system on my 'Stroke and in the cab you couldn't hardly hear the exhaust; very quiet and subdued. But outside, there was definitely sound to be had.

As far as checks, typically the laws read that you can not have an open exhaust, or one that flows directly out the manifold to the atmosphere (I would assume for spark arrest purposes but who knows.) A turbocharger fits that bill because it places a restriction in the exhaust gas flow. Unless you get a cop who is a real **** you shouldn't have any problems going with a straight pipe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online