'97 Powerstroke stumbles in the morning.

Gone Huntin'

Reaction score
I just bought this truck about a month ago. It has been fine except for two cool mornings at about 60*about two weeks apart. I got in the truck, pulled out of the driveway and went about 100 feet and it stumbled about 3-4 quick times with no cel. After it does it, it runs fine after that. The oil, filter, and fuel filters were changed this weekend and the last time it did it was this morning. It doesn't do it above 70*.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most likely the exhaust back pressure valve closing.does it sound like the exhuast it plugged up,hissing?

Gone Huntin'

Reaction score
Not that I can tell, it happens so quick that I didn't even see if the tach fluctuated. It's just like you cycled te key off/on very fast three or four times.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the turbo under the intake boot there is a black plug.you can unplug and see if it happens again.sounds like the ebpv wich is normal for it to do that.you can also leave it unplugged,wont hurt anything or set the check engine light.its supposed to force the engine to warm up quicker in the cold weather by closing the exhaust.

Gone Huntin'

Reaction score
If that's normal I don't like it, it'll get you run over trying to leave a driveway on a busy highway. It was cool here again this am, but I let it run for a few minutes before I left and it didn't do it today.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unplug the black plug on the bottom of the turbo on the drivers side under the intake tube.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strange but not surprising.keep the old one in the glove box.very common problem on the psd

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online