97 power stroke

94Rangeron37s

Reaction score
Doesnt want to start when its cold. it did fine all summer long but let it sit over night went to start it and it just cranked and cranked and poured white smoke out the hood and exhaust. it has new glow plugs and injector wireing. and new fuel filter, like 10,000 miles ago but now im lost why its doing this. it finally started, and once it idled up it ran fine no problems what so ever. so i did what i had to do and came home parked it and the same exact thing again today. any help would be greatly appreciated.. since winter is coming i dont need this every day...

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a glow plug issue. Plug it in overnight and see if it starts. If it does, check the glow plug relay.

94Rangeron37s

Reaction score
it had this problem back when i bought it but it quit after i did the injector wiring and glow plugs and the relay along with a complete service. i drove it all summer without having any problems and now its getting cold again and its doing the exact same thing. plugging it in didnt seem to help last night its plugged in again tonight so hopefully it fires up good in the morning..

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
but it quit after i did the injector wiring and glow plugs and the relay along with a complete service.

Which wiring....the entire valve cover gasket assy or just the actual harness that connect the inj and GP's to the valve cover assys?

check the GP ohms by removing the plugs at the VC connectors and look for the outermost pins ---more than 1.0 ohms is most likely shot out.

94Rangeron37s

Reaction score
i replaced the entire valve cover gasket/wireing and the injector relay at the same time. it also had glow plugs then as well but. and plugging it in didnt help it did it again this morning. i was reading some where and think it could be the (ESO) electronic shut off solenoid. for the fuel something about it bleeding off fuel into the motor

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
i replaced the entire valve cover gasket/wireing and the injector relay at the same time. it also had glow plugs then as well but. and plugging it in didnt help it did it again this morning. i was reading some where and think it could be the (ESO) electronic shut off solenoid. for the fuel something about it bleeding off fuel into the motor

I hope you mean "glow plug relay"......
There is no "ESO" for fuel that I'm aware of :dunno

I would check the IPR- inj press reg- located on the lower driver side of the HPOP......sol could be bad or the o rings are shot.....

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
just because ya put a new relay on doesnt mean it cant be bad. Ive had 2 fail that I replaced last year

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
gray smoke means your getting fuel with no heat to light it off. either your issue is glow plugs (glow plugs themselves, wiring, power, block ground, relay, connections, etc) or your compression is getting low.

punk

thel33tone

Reaction score
try taking jumper cables to the glow plug relay, when the keys on if it still sparks like its taking current from the jumper cable (with the other end connected to your battery's +terminal not someone elses car) then the relays broke or use multi meter if you have one. and then answer my post kuz my trucks broke too thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726