97 E350 PSD hard start after fuel filter change

RJL

Reaction score
I was experiencing it being slow to accelerate and come on the turbo when putting my foot into it and decided to change the fuel filter. The current filter was a Fram with the cap attached so I got the same to replace it. pulled the drain first to empty the housing then removed the cap and filter. Wiped the housing clean and replaced the filter. Once everything was back together I turned the key waited for the WTS light to go out and started it. I pulled out of the garage and got out leaving it running. When I closed the garage and came back to it it had stalled.
It took a LOT of cranking in 15 second bursts to get it going again. So my question is did I miss something here? Should it have been able to purge the air in the housing or was I supposed to do something to prevent this ?
Thanks in advance for any input you might have.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I top off the housing to about an inch from the top with fuel additive so that when I install the filter there is a minimal amount of air in the housing. The truck probably stalled when the air was pushed through the heads.

RJL

Reaction score
Greenskeeper, thank you for the tip I will make it a point to try that next time I change it. After the fact I was thinking it might have been a problem not doing that.