96 First Powerstroke

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 1996 7.3 powerstroke with 285k on it yesterday. It is pretty clean body work wise and runs good. It has a pre turbo exhaust leak that seems to be killing boost and all the things a used rig needs (especially tires and a steering box). It does smoke on startup a fair bit but always cleans out and is very normal when you get in it, besides the slow turbo spool.

I have been playing with my IDI for awhile but can I use green coolant and a nitrate based SCA just like my IDI? Should I do a coolant filter like I made for the IDI? Should I use diesel kleen?

You must be registered for see images attach

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I did the T444e water pump conversion back when I had my f350... That has the filter. Sca and test strips; I used green coolant.

These turbos do spool slow with stock fueling. I was looking at a quick spool (lower AR) ex housing.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fixed the exhaust leak mostly today, manifold was loose to the head on drivers side and the bolts were hand tight and they tightened up again!! We got new brakes as a surprise, last owner must have just done them, and I put on new tires because the old ones we’re bald and had a major flat spot. It does seem that fixing/improving the exhaust leak helped the turbo spool a little.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice tires! I go to the local just yards just to look at used tires......... weird huh? But I got a full set for my dually of less than 2yr old Toyo for $20 a piece.

Last edited:

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice tires! I go to the local just yards just to look at used tires......... weird huh? But I got a full set for my dually of less than 2yr old Toyo for $20 a piece.
Thanks! My wife picked them out we wanted to look cool.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the steering box can be "adjusted" to eliminate slop by centering the box (wheels straight) and tightening down on the adjustment bolt until the steering won't return to center on it's own... when you get to that point back off 1/4-1/2 turn.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the steering box can be "adjusted" to eliminate slop by centering the box (wheels straight) and tightening down on the adjustment bolt until the steering won't return to center on it's own... when you get to that point back off 1/4-1/2 turn.
I will put it on the alignment rack soon, at this point with the new tires and all it’s really not bad at all.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will put it on the alignment rack soon, at this point with the new tires and all it’s really not bad at all.
The steering box has nothing to do with an alignment. These trucks are notorious for a sloppy steering box over time, which results in "dead steering" when turning the wheel to the left or right. Tightening up the adjustment eliminates the slop in the steering box itself... just don't go too far to where the steering won't self-center (bind) after coming out of a turn.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Any solid-axle truck with a solid link between the knuckles is cake to align in your driveway at home.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any solid-axle truck with a solid link between the knuckles is cake to align in your driveway at home.
I completely agree, the only thing easier is using a relatives alignment rack on the weekend which is what I do. The alignment on the truck isn’t even bad, it’s just not quite perfect.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The doors had issues and yesterday I picked up a new door latch plastic thing for the truck side and when I left Napa the door flew open lol. So I got right on that and now both the doors close perfectly and line up.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starter went bad in a parking lot but it cooled off and I was able to drive. Already warranty swapped it for free. The last owner had a Napa one in it. I would like a better one but you can’t beat free and available.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a small fuel leak from an underrmined location. It is far forward and up near the filter area I think but it puddles on the valley pan area under the turbo. Not sure where it is coming from do you have any ideas on a common problem? I may need to rebuild the fuel bowl and things is there a recommended supplier for that kit?

CharlesG

Reaction score

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a small fuel leak from an underrmined location. It is far forward and up near the filter area I think but it puddles on the valley pan area under the turbo. Not sure where it is coming from do you have any ideas on a common problem? I may need to rebuild the fuel bowl and things is there a recommended supplier for that kit?

common leak points are the fuel bowl itself (corrosion), various sensors on the fuel bowl, fuel pump, banjo fittings, fuel lines....quite extensive as you can see.

Best bet is to clean the valley of the engine, start it up and start looking. Extremely small leaks can be detected by sprinkling baby powder in the vallley and look for the source.