96' 12 valve Cranking wheel then stalling

12 valve owner

12valveowner
Reaction score
My Question is when cranking my steering wheel all the way to the left or right while the truck is in idle the motor dies. I do now that my steering pump has a leak but I was able to stop it with Lucas steering fluid. It has a problem idiling in cold weather, So I need to sit in the truck and give it a little gas to keep it running. I dont know if this problem can be related to the steering stalling. I was told that it could be a fuel delivery problem, since I added #10 FUEL PLATE I know require more fuel, and with the low sulfur diesel, and since I havent been running a diesel additive my lift pump or injector pump could be going bad. Im not a diesel mechanic. I also wonder what diesel additive you guys would recommend for a 96 12 valve cummins with 170,000 miles. Have you ever heard of anyone using a half bottle of ATF fluid to a tank of gas for a additive?

Last edited:

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
I have tried ATF and it works fine, but I don't use it anymore after I almost got my tank dipped and I would have gotten a ticket because the fuel was red(offroad diesel is too). I now run Howes.

rubberfish

Reaction score
It's not uncommon. There are many of us that pick
the idle up a bit in winter. 50 - 100 rpm is usually
enough. Then drop it back down again in the spring.

ATF is a good cleaner but too abrasive
for day to day use, and it won't help with
you idle in the cold winter months.

Oh, and welcome to the site. :)

NoGin_Cummins

Typical Dodge Owner
Reaction score
2 words RETURN FITTING.... On the return line from the Inj. pump to the fuel tank, the fitting has what i believe to be a spring and check ball to allow the pump to build a certain amount of pressure before the return line opens, cold stalling, hard starting, loss of power, or stalling after releasing the throttle is a common symptom of this being worn out... I replaced mine and it made my truck feel brand new again.... I would also test the lift pump... i believe it should put out 3.5 psi

NoGin_Cummins

Typical Dodge Owner
Reaction score
I have tried ATF and it works fine, but I don't use it anymore after I almost got my tank dipped and I would have gotten a ticket because the fuel was red(offroad diesel is too). I now run Howes.

I run colored fuel all the time, but I add 2 cycle oil to it, it turns it blue so it renders the government dye useless, and it works good as an additive, I have also had good luck adding half a gallon of used motor oil in my ford club wagon... but in my dodge I only use 2 cycle or clean motor oil... also in BC colored fuel is not low sulphur yet because it is intended for use in machines.... so it is easier on pumps anyway.

Whit

Reaction score
adjust the idle up a touch and you will be fine

I read on all kinds of forums of peeps using ATF as a fuel additive and it bothers me alot...........sometimes I lay awake at night because of this

Just a warning on using ATF in your diesel fuel. The modern day ATF's have friction modifiers that are not made to burn. ATF can also lead to premature failure of the injection system. Using ATF is from the old days with mechanical injection systems and ATF didn't have the additives and modifiers like todays ATF.

a good additive is any 2 stroke oil.........its ashless and made to burn................also has a very good HPFF number for lubricity

NoGin_Cummins

Typical Dodge Owner
Reaction score
Whitmore... A little off topic but I must say your truck looks nearly identical to mine... same color same wheels and everything... when i first looked at the pic, i could have sworn it was mine lol..... nice truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online