94 to 92 engin swap. SEVERE Problems

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
OK Fella's need some help here ASAP

my brother-in-law just bought a '94 F350 4x4 5 speed, 4 door SRW.. and the motor was shot in it, anti-freeze in the oil, fuel in the oil, you name it it was SHOT.

He bought an IDI out of a '92 ambulance, the only change he is making is the '92 had an auto in it (obviously coming out of a meat wagon) but at any rate, he got a new fly-wheel, clutch assembly, and the new fly wheel would not fit, the end of the crank was 20/1000 to big, no big deal we just honed the fly wheel out 25/1000 and it fit right on, BUT the problem is after measuring a few things the new fly-wheel is out about and inch to far and the starter will not catch!

SO I come to you.... what would the difference be?
would the '92 have a bigger crank on it due to coming out of an ambulance? only rational we could come up w/
He has talked to quite a few people about it and we keep getting the same answer, any clutch and fly wheel for those years would work fine!

any help would be greatly appreciated!

JP

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
THANKS!!! just found the problem!

the whole last weekend SHOT down the tubes and all we needed was a Hammer! A BIG HAMMER!

what was throwing us off was a collar from the auto trans that was seized onto the Crank shaft!
He just called me and was trying to figure it out and got PO'ed and wacked the end of the crank w/ a hammer and the collar fell off!

HUH! funny how things work! never messed w/ an auto, all have been sticks, and leave it to some rust to kill us!

thanks again bill!

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just found the problem!

what was throwing us off was a collar from the auto trans that was seized onto the Crank shaft!

thanks again bill!

Ah, there you go. I was just going to suggest that. I just did the opposite swap, a stick into an auto, and I had to put the collar on, and get a flexplate to fit the auto.

Zigg :)

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Yes, I was going to say that as I was reading down through the posts. Good you found it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online