94 PSD

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
My step father just gave me his 94 psd, its a pretty great truck overall, has some minor things that will be fixed, first all it has a miss and is low on power sometimes, but then sometimes it seems like its not missing or if it is then its not as bad and it has ALOT of power, i cleaned the screen on the fuel bowl and shimmed the FPR, couldnt really tell a differncer, sometimes i notice when im revving it and it gets to 2200-2800 it will miss worse and blow blue smoke, then once it passes about 3000 it clears up and pulls hard to the governor, whats going oncookoo

Also it never really gets up tp tempurature the engine stays down on the cold side, and the heat isnt hot at all, just enough to barley keep warm after riding in it for awhile

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Congrats :thumbsup:

He must be really mad at that truck to send it to The Land of Diesel Destruction. :rotflmao

It sounds like a bad injector. It will break a piston if you let it go.

Be EXTREMELY cautious with the tiny bolts you have to remove to get the injector out. They snap easily.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
How do i tell which injector it is??? i didnt know it would ruin a piston!!!!!!!!!:eek:

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
follow the upper rad hose back to the engine. The hose slips over a fitting with 3 bolts to the water pump. The thermostat is immediately underneath.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do i tell which injector it is??? i didnt know it would ruin a piston!!!!!!!!!:eek:

this is out ofmy first motor that cracked an injector nozzle :eek:

Attachments

• truck%20330727.jpg
    truck%20330727.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 17

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Ok well i took the truck today to a guy who is the diesel mechanic for the school, he told me to start with the thermostat because the warm up valve is not opening fully, and he thinks thats the problem he said it acts nothing like a bad injector in the ones he worked on,

It dont miss reall bad at idle and between 2000 rpm, but once you pass around 23-2500 and it starts smoking bad and missing then after passes 3200 it clears up and runs great till the limiter smoke free:dunno

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Like BULL said. Check the UVCH and the valve cover gasket and the harnesses that plug into it. How many miles are on it? You need a scanner to properly diagnosis these engine. And typically the computers in the 94 craps out that a scanner cant access it. You need to swap in another (newer) computer to read it

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Start and warm up the engine before doing this. This checks out the UVCH.

The 94's have a two connector UVCH on each head, if one connector starts to slip out under the valve cover on that bank, then it will act (miss) like your indicating. The engine will run on four cylinders after started. Before starting, disconnect both UVCH connectors on one head, if the engine won't start, that will be the defective UVCH side. The engine should start and run on 4 cyl. Pull that side valve cover and see if the connector is slipping out. Don't pull the connectors with the engine running, there is high voltage there from the IDM. 120VAC

I have pulled one of the plugs while it was running before:eek:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Like BULL said. Check the UVCH and the valve cover gasket and the harnesses that plug into it. How many miles are on it? You need a scanner to properly diagnosis these engine. And typically the computers in the 94 craps out that a scanner cant access it. You need to swap in another (newer) computer to read it

I will take it to a buddy of mine he has some very expensive machines we will see if we can get anything from scanning it,

It has 233,000 on it

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Im glad yall told me that, i dont really want to get the **** knocked out of me, thanks guys, wonder whhy it didnt shock me though?:dunno

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I will take it to a buddy of mine he has some very expensive machines we will see if we can get anything from scanning it,

It has 233,000 on it

If nothing has ever been done in those miles be prepared to spend some money on it.(UVCH, VCG, possibly injectors)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US