94' 7.3 idi

Jeremy Cima 31

Reaction score
Within the next couple days I'm probably going to be the. New owner of a 94 F-250 with the
7.3 idi. I don't know much about this type of motor. I'm just curious on some of yalls opinions on it. As of now the motor only has 132,000 miles on it.

Danny Cardarelli

Reaction score
Jeremy,
My name is Danny and im from Mass. 5 months back i grabbed a 94 single cab, full bed, 4x4 IDI with 107,000 miles on it. Since having the truck, i have done a ton of work to it.( to the tune of about $8500.00).. I have learned a great deal about diesels in doing this) one bottom line lesson that would have saved me $$$ if i had know it earlier is :eek:nly use ford or international harvester parts on this truck. As u probably know, this engine was made by Int.Harvester until june 1st of 1994...then Ford took it back over. Also , when u change the glow plugs USE MOTORCRAFT GLOW PLUGS....i am not a mechanic but i do have a good mechanic at a good rate that is doing the work. In the Boston area, diesel mechanics get about $110.00 and hour...my guy is doing it for. $65 and im supplying the parts. Im doing a frame up restore (except the engine)and im very happy thus far with the progress of the project. Next is the body work which is probably gonna be about $4 grand to bring this truck where i want t it and thats original showroom condition..i also added a 2 inch lift to it......
Diesel people i have spoken to, on line and in person consitently have mentioned that this specific engine, The 7.3 IDI, being the precursor to the POWERSTROKE DIESEL, and created by INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER, is thought by many to be the BEST diesel engine EVER created. It is an all steel, no ******** engine with a long lifespan..the key is to treat it right and dont beat it....i have learned a lot about this engine because i ask questions of any person who would know..my souces of information are auto parts stores, diesel mechanics, and the forums in this very website are super knowledgeable...when i ask questions and receive answers, i do not paint those answers as gospel or written in stone. I then ask another source the same question..hows this...? What i did was, i went to my local public transportation garage, where the mechanics work on oublic transportation buses...all of those engines that they work on are Diesels and these people are super helpful.and once i got a repor, these guys want to give you the info.for free....the answers you get here on OILBURNERS are invaluable because the guys here know these trucks , just like the bus mechanics know the buses...if you have a question, you can always ask me and ill ask my sources...but this oilburners site is a place that has helped me out tremendously.You have a good truck...with low mileage that is a sought after commodity....good luck

Danny C

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Danny, just so you know international continued engineering and producing the powerstrokes up to the 6.7, which is when ford ended the contract