94 7.3 idi turbo fuel filter housing leaking

Mtew2000

Reaction score
My 94 7.3 idi turbo is leaking fuel on top of the fuel filter housing. Can it be taken apart and fixed or should I just order a new housing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes it can easily be fixed. Whats leaking is the fuel heater electrical element fitting. you can open it and replace the o ring but it will continue to leak another time later on. Or you can remove the fitting. Tap the hole to 1/2 inch national pipe threads and install a pip plug.No matter where you live the heater is not effective. It might have been a good idea if the heating element was on the bottom of the filter but trying to heat something from the top never really works. Think of a pot of water on the stove. the heat is under the pot. Not on top of it... Also there is plenty of information with pictures how to repair or modify this bad engineering problem...+9i

Kahunias-J-puppy

Reaction score
My 94 7.3 idi turbo is leaking fuel on top of the fuel filter housing. Can it be taken apart and fixed or should I just order a new housing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Order a new housing...just for the peace of mind knowing it is done

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Mammoth73

Reaction score
I'd say if there's an easy way to bypass it bypass it. That being said if the original one lasted 25 years then I'd feel comfortable with just replacing it.
I'm currently battling an air intrusion at the selector valve but haven't had any problems with the fuel heater yet

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Might want to check Ford or International before you decide you want to replace it. Even on ebay they are very costly. something like 400 + bucks. BTW an o ring from International that usually will fix this is about 2 bucks.Like I have ALREADY mentioned.. your better off to plug this location on top of the filter head. Simple to remove. Take filter off Remove lines.Remove from engine. Unscrew the filter fitting. Remove useless crap heater element. Wash with Brakclean. Fill hole with JB Weld or even a good quality RTV. Let it dry well. Re assemble and your golden. No more leaks making a mess in this area.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Yeah just take it apart and get creative. I think I made a sandwich with injector washers and what not to plug the hole after removing the electric fitting. Been working for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online