94 7.3 fuel draining back?

littlejoe

Reaction score
That's what it acts like if it sits a while.

Seems like there ought to be a check valve in fuel supply side someplace.

????? tia lj

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's typical. Check for leaks from filter head, through lift pump and back to FSV.
May also replace the lift pump if it's old - they have check valves in them, but over time they function worse and worse.

You can also add a new check valve to the inlet side of the filter head if you want.

littlejoe

Reaction score
Thank you much! Truck has been kept inside, 100k miles original. but age stuff. valve on filter sounds simplest. parts store item? thanks again~!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no check in the fuel return line, and that is where the fuel goes back to the tank if you get a leak. I have been waiting for someone to try a 12v solenoid valve in that line hooked to the ignition key-on, but haven't seen anyone do it yet.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stock mechanical fuel pump on the block has a diaphragm that is supposed to act as a check valve. It almost never works. I put a regular check valve inline the soft hose between the frame and pump to solve this, but it sounds like you have a leak.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
True it sounds like the mechanical lift pump is faulty and.. you probably have a leak at the top of the filter head at the fuel heater area.If the top of the filter head is slightly wet I bet thats the problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online