'94 454 help needed

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys so here is the deal. Our tow rig is '94 crew cab 454/4l80e/ 4x4 w/ 4.10s long bed. truck does great empty..but on our last trip we were grossing 18,500lbs. needless to say it needs to tow faster, harder and not gear hunt.

mods im looking for
1. chip(cant find tuners)
2. cam?
3. trans control?

any help, links, vendors etc would be great

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
1. Hypertech, Superchips, Turbo City for the chip.

2. Any of the major cam manufacturers should have a cam; if you want something custom call Jones Cam Designs and ask for Mike (704-489-2449)

3. Banks should have something for the transmission.

4. You're pushing it with this truck; the GCWR is probably 15k and if you are going to be grossing this kind of weight all the time, that 454 is not gonna like it for long, at least the way it's set up. And the fuel bills are murder. Either build a big block that can kick out way more torque or go diesel. I have nothing against gassers, but in something like this, it's not practical, and I suspect that you don't exactly drive slow. And you are in a state with enough hills that you need tons of torque all the time.

The ultimate solution for a gasser is a supercharger or a turbo. The compression is low enough that if you were to add it, and tuned the engine right for premium and E85, it'll have more than enough power. Just adding 4-6 psi makes life better, and it'll live like that for a long time.

The ultimate solution for a tow vehicle is a diesel swap. Take a Cummins B series and one of the many kits that are out there, hook it up to the 4L80E that you have and go to town. 300hp and 600+lb/ft of torque plus a big mileage boost towing or empty, plus the reliability and fuel flexibility. Then you have the basis to build a really powerful motor with just bolt ons.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
The ultimate solution for a gasser is a supercharger or a turbo. The compression is low enough that if you were to add it, and tuned the engine right for premium and E85, it'll have more than enough power. Just adding 4-6 psi makes life better, and it'll live like that for a long time.

Belt driven Procharger, or even an STS turbo setup seems to make the engine build power efficiently.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
That's hot. Only 8 psi and acting a total animal. Thanks for the upload; putting something like that on the dually should make towing a breeze.

I bet if headers, turbo, torque cam, remote turbo, water/**** injection and a Megasquirt were put on that truck, it would flat out rock. Still will hate the fuel bills. 454s have a bad combustion chamber, and **** fuel out the pipe.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
the more cool air you get in, the more fuel you can add...what about an intercooled STS? with a little tune froma chip would about make that puppy FLY!

I had a 1999 silverado LT.....5.3 automatic 4x4. With a cam (had to custom tune the ECM to match the cam cause it ran like crap), hypertech programmer, 459 pound per hour injetors, hotter fuel pump, adjustable regulator (for turbo use onle, I never turboed my engine, it was always naturally aspirated), throttle body spacer, aftermarket throttle body, dual cone ram/cold air intake, true dual exhaust with the cats deleted (there's a "fake" sensor that sticks to the bottom of the truck and plugs into the O2 sensors to give a reading that is correct, not sure how they work though) and a couple other odds and ends like a shift kit and HID's and this is what I came up with.

Truck 1
Truck 2

With my foot on the carpet it got about 9 MPG, but if I took my time, this thing got around 19 MPG. It would SMOKE most of the ricers out there, and EAT a similar factory truck as a joke! I only towed once or trice with it, but it dragged that trailer full of wood (2 cord) like a factory truck would go with no trailer behind it. LOTS of power to spare.

I wish I had the money or brass ones to throw a Procharger or STS at that thing, but I would have killed myself. I was only 19 or 20 when I had that thing, still full of **** and vinegar. I've calmed down with my driving, but I'm still a scrapper lol

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, thanks guys I would love to add a charger. BUT, usually it doesn't see this much weight. And we don't tow constantly....mainly about 1-2 times a month....it sits during the winter when wheeling season is down.

i have been looking at sinister performance for a chip and their tow/haul add-on to help with the gear hunting.....anyone know much about them?

As for the terrain. it PA turnpike and the mountains of western PA

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
lol, thanks guys I would love to add a charger. BUT, usually it doesn't see this much weight. And we don't tow constantly....mainly about 1-2 times a month....it sits during the winter when wheeling season is down.

i have been looking at sinister performance for a chip and their tow/haul add-on to help with the gear hunting.....anyone know much about them?

As for the terrain. it PA turnpike and the mountains of western PA

I haven't heard of these guys, so I can't give an opinion. See if EFI Live has a tuning program for your truck. They're the hottest thing out there for GM's.