93 ford 7.3 n/a help needed

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So was helping a friend change his fuel filter n the bottom screw picture below was stripped have know idea where to by one besides a junkyard/ maybe Rock Auto.

It's a 2wd automatic not sure if that helps all og parts but injectors gp's the normal over 100k matience the truck has 161k miles n just a f250 7.3 n/a xlt any help would be cool, have to replacr that n figure out why the tensior pulley wears out fast.will be the 3rd one in a yr. Will upload vidoe in a bit

You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. No more issues. When you do, before installing or filling, I like to crack the water drain valve open and then close it again. I've run into some filters that someone got a little bit paint happy with. The valve can be painted closed. If this happens and you try to open the water drain, it could loosen the filter instead of the valve. This will break your seal and cause either a fuel leak, air intrusion, or both. Once the paint is broken off, you won't have this issue. Just a little FYI that could help prevent a big headache.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You may not know how this drain works.Try turning it all the way out. You DO NOT turn it in or up to seal the seat. Or purchase the filter with no bottom and be done with this issue.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may not know how this drain works.Try turning it all the way out. You DO NOT turn it in or up to seal the seat. Or purchase the filter with no bottom and be done with this issue.
If I get a filter with no bottom n just speaking as a novice would that affect how the water is separated as on most idi's that bottom screw connects to a rubber hose by the passenger side close to the battery, just curious I've never had that issue on my rig.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well you just wont be draining water from the fuel if the filter has no means to do it. Really no need where I live to drain water.Our fuel is clean and dry. Remember EVERY fuel pump at any service station has a set of filters on the delivery line so its cleaned before we pump it.How often they actually change them is a crap shoot too. Many times I see the repair kits or the bottom covers listed new and used on ebay all the time.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If I get a filter with no bottom n just speaking as a novice would that affect how the water is separated as on most idi's that bottom screw connects to a rubber hose by the passenger side close to the battery,
The one piece replacement filters still have a water seperator. It's built in to the filter. So is the drain valve. You can even get them with or without the "Water in Fuel" sensor. You will not be able to replace just the water seperator on these one piece filter. The Hastings number is FF1039-SP for the one with the sensor.

KCMeyer

Reaction score
I have changed all my 7.3 IDI engines to a Wix 33417. You can look at a picture on any parts store website. Simple 12 point water drain bolt. It eliminates the several notorious leak points on the "217" filter.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NAPA fil3617/wix 33617, supposedly WIX makes NAPA filters, it eliminates the bowl and has a 7/16 port for the WIF sensor. I've ran them since I got my truck with no issues.

Around here with the temperature swings it's a good idea to keep the sensor. Condensate builds up in the tanks and only has one place to go...