'93 f-350 DRW towing 15k total

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least he's in Florida where the tallest climbs he'll see will be bubblegum wrappers someone tossed out their window.:D N/A is all ya need down there.Flat,flat,flat.

Hey wait.This reminds me of a nice pic.:D

You must be registered for see images attach

Florida Chris

Reaction score
that's it, i'm moving to Florida!!!!

Careful. Not everything looks like that down here, lol.

Overall update... I'm heading out today to go look at an '07 f450. Standard cab, auto, short bed, 2wd. Mileage is sitting at 209k. It has the 6.0, but I'm figuring any issues that those engines have, have probably been fixed by now.

Comes with many tool boxes, both on the bed and under (I'll remove the ones above). 8k winch and gin bar, gooseneck hitch.

The information in the add on the truck...

V-8 Turbo diesel
Automatic Trans
Cruise Control
Am/Fm
Manual windows & Locks
Cloth/vinyl interior
A/c & heat
125"L x 96"W Steel Bed
*Ramsey Winch (w/Remote)
*Gin Pole Arms
*Pipe Vises (2)
*Gooseneck Hitch
* 2" Receiver Hitch
*8 Toolboxes
(4Top EZ to remove)
Trailer wired
Trailer Brake
Power Invertor (front tool box)
Dual Fuel Tanks
Running Boards
Good Tires
RUNS & DRIVES EXCELLENT!!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Careful. Not everything looks like that down here, lol.

Overall update... I'm heading out today to go look at an '07 f450. Standard cab, auto, short bed, 2wd. Mileage is sitting at 209k. It has the 6.0, but I'm figuring any issues that those engines have, have probably been fixed by now.

Comes with many tool boxes, both on the bed and under (I'll remove the ones above). 8k winch and gin bar, gooseneck hitch.

The information in the add on the truck...

V-8 Turbo diesel
Automatic Trans
Cruise Control
Am/Fm
Manual windows & Locks
Cloth/vinyl interior
A/c & heat
125"L x 96"W Steel Bed
*Ramsey Winch (w/Remote)
*Gin Pole Arms
*Pipe Vises (2)
*Gooseneck Hitch
* 2" Receiver Hitch
*8 Toolboxes
(4Top EZ to remove)
Trailer wired
Trailer Brake
Power Invertor (front tool box)
Dual Fuel Tanks
Running Boards
Good Tires
RUNS & DRIVES EXCELLENT!!
Actually, they can go one of two ways. One, you found a problem free truck or Two, they are so damn tired fixing it, they put it back together long enough for it to go away.
Service records is king.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would avoid the 6.0 like the plague unless you have the means and motivation to work on it not if, but when it fails.

Have you thought about an International 4700? They come with a 7.3 or DT466 (or something in between), have the axle, frame, and brake power to stop the heavy loads, and can be had cheaper than the 6.0 you're thinking about.

FWIW, I had an 87 International S1654 with a N/A 7.3 and I grossed over 30K on a 'round the country trip. On the flats I could hold 65 but on the hills I was usually about 45...except for the Eisenhower pass in CO which had me down to 25. That truck was cheap to to purchase, reliable as can be, and built to handle what you're trying to do. You could shorten the frame and be at the same length as a pickup if you wanted too....

Eason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've pulled numerous 100+ hp IH tractors on my 24 ft PJ and either my 83 6.9 4 spd 3.55 rears or my 92 7.3 auto 3.55 rears. I wish I had 4.10s when loaded. The trucks do fine, you just don't get out and fly down the road. In NC my trucks are 8600 gvw and the trailer is 15,500 gvw for a combined wt of 24100. I plate my truck for 24,000 lbs. Granted I'm in the flat lands and haven't towed over 75 miles one way.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the last "big" load I've hauled was my (then new to me) '92 F-250 (6600lbs empty) behind my '93 F-250. Total weight about 15-16K, including the dual-axle car hauler.
Hauled that a good 140 miles, all highway(mostly 2-lane).
I was having a bit of trouble with the clutch slipping on my '93 if I gave it too much throttle, but I still managed 60+ most of the way, and 75 once I got to the freeway section.

'Course, my '93 isn't a NA motor, either - a bunch of extra HP makes all the difference. That and good trailer breaks for stopping.

I also hauled my dad's Bobcat(like 5K-ish, for a total weight of 13-14K) 55 miles to my place with the '92; that felt a bit heavy but I still maintained speed.
The '92 needs better breaks, that's for sure - Nothing like the positive feel of the Hydroboost on my '88 F-250

Oh, and in terms of really big loads I probably shouldn't have hauled - 6 tons of hay on a dual-axle dually *ball* trailer. I still don't get how that trailer exists, with a factory rating of 25K by itself.

Anyway, hauled that about 50 miles with my '88 a few years back. I kept the speed to about 55 though, just due to how it felt. I did have a little trouble going more than 40 up a pretty steep grade at the beginning... Then I found out that I had my emergency brakes on the whole time, after the leaking axle seal started creating a really nice smoke cloud....

(As an aside, a friend of mine took that same trailer, loaded 3 tons of hay on it, and hauled it with their '01 Chevy 3500. The hitch bent a little under the load, and tweaked the bumper)

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did have a little trouble going more than 40 up a pretty steep grade at the beginning... Then I found out that I had my emergency brakes on the whole time

That made me laugh. I've done that myself. It's not bad when you're by yourself but it's kinda embarrassing when there's other people in the truck with you lol!

Florida Chris

Reaction score
Update: I'm going to go ahead with a 6.0 range of years. I'm seeing a few pickup 450's in my price range of 10k or under (found a decent one locally for 8.5 I'm looking at tomorrow) with another 5k set to the side for a bit of bullet proofing / future proofing or overall maintenance before it starts working.

15k (at most) is a bit high for that old of a truck for the most part but, I'm planning to keep whichever truck I end up with for at least 5 years. Insurance alone over 5 years makes up the difference for me in buying a newer model.

Coincidentally on Monday, a friend of a friend put me into contact with a few RV park owners. That doesn't mean much until I tell you I live 15 minutes away from "The Villages" Florida. Largest retirement community in the US.
Those owners are consistently needing to move 5th wheels and don't typically like doing it themselves. Depending on what my insurance would look like for moving 5th wheels, I may be adding some side work onto the truck.

Runningaford

Reaction score
I think in my 92' owner's manual, they've got the 1 tons GCVWR at something like 17,000lbs. If you're hauling for personal use, then anything under 26,000 gross shouldn't need a cdl. CDL's opens a person up to being a 'professional' driver, it sucks when it comes to wrecks, and often times automatically making you the at fault party; just food for thought.

With you being in Florida, isn't most of it flat? I'd think a non turbo'd would get you around okay even with the load you mention; of course slowly, but I don't think many need to drive like a bat out of hell weighing in heavy.

You definitely won't be legal with the low truck GCVWR, so you'd risk voiding insurance coverage in a wreck, and of course tickets, but I think most have been in that ballpark before. I'm not sure, but if you're doing this farm related, it's been my personal experience, that some police are a lot more tolerant of the folks growing our food when it comes to legal, or not legal.

Something interesting, is I was looking at the GCVWR of a new dodge the other day, they're advertising it at 30,000lbs.... But that's CDL territory, and I don't think a lot of folks realize that when buying such a truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online