92 f350 super cab converting from auto to a zf5

glowplug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what years of trucks can i get parts out of? looking for peddle set up..also i have a zf5 out of a (1988 i think?) that i would like to use but, what about the speedo cable the mph gauges were diff..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need to know more...fill in your signature with details of truck.

I see by looking it's 2wd so that's going to require a 2wd trans or superduty with brake.

92-97 pedal assembly, as well as clutch master/slave/line

Speedo on your truck uses sensor in rear diff vs cable driven from transmission.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did this exact conversion on my truck. Like was said before, the speedometer is not driven by the transmission in our year model, so no worries here. Buy a quality complete clutch set with a single mass flywheel, this will come with all the correct bolts needed to bolt the flywheel to the crankshaft. A pedal assembly from a 92-97 model truck. You can use a pedal set from any f-150 through f-350 in those years. The clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder, for me, I just bought new here unless you have a set that you know works.

I had to lengthen the front section of driveshaft and I had to use a conversion u-joint also. The zf I had used a 1350 and the shaft has a 1330. I spent $330 on the driveshaft work, which included all new spicer u-joints and carrier bearing, the lengthening of the front shaft, and balancing the shaft.

Don't hesitate to ask any more questions!

glowplug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks good info. so now i guess my 88 F-350 parts trucks is of no use to me so i guessthe parts i was pulling can go. i will swap/sale parts to get what i need.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks good info. so now i guess my 88 F-350 parts trucks is of no use to me so i guessthe parts i was pulling can go. i will swap/sale parts to get what i need.
whoa.
slow down.
your situation is far from unworkable.
we need more info.
are both trucks 2wd?
how about starting with the stats on both rigs.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please do fill in more stats about what you have. What auto trans do you have. Is it the C6 or the E4OD that has the overdrive in it and the dash od lite. Some autos had a flexplate with a 1 1/8 inch spacer between the plate and the crank flange. Others did not. Do not throw away any parts because they are not made anywhere.

glowplug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no i didnt mean i would throw away part guys lol. the parts truck is an 1988 f350 2wd was a 460 but was being converted to 7.3 with a used reman zf5, years of motor/trans unknow to me. well the motor went locked up over winter before the build got off the ground
my truck the 92 f350 has a e4od with od on shifter handle and lite is there too, not in dash

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok then.. Being that year truck you will probably have the crank to flexplate spacer. Many times its impossible to know what this is when you remove the flexplate. then trying to install standard tran flywheel the bolts wont fit. Then you find out the spacer is still stuck on the crank flange. A simple knock with a small hammer loosen it. Now caution because those flywheel bolt holes go thru the crank flange into the oily side of the engine. thread sealant is needed on those crank to flywheel bolts or oil is sure to leak out and ruin a new clutch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online