91 with water in fuel... now it won't start, help

bubbagonebad

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a 91 7.3 4X4... the owner said he pumped in some diesel out of a drum and it had water in it. He had the glow plugs replaced, new fuel pump, new timer and timer bypass solenoid...still won't start. When I go to look at it what should I concentrate on? I don't have much experience with diesel vehicles although I do have a Dresser dozer but it is pretty straight forward.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Bubbagonebad

Thanks for all of your help, I found another site with the detailed procedures to follow- Bubba
http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/idi.htm

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Umm, maybe the fuel with water in it is causing it not to start. I would siphen out all the diesel in the tanks, then fill them with some diesel plus some sort of diesel additive. Then I would throw a charger on the batteries, or some jumper cables, because you will need to crank. I would take off the old fuel filter and fill a new one full of diesel and a healthy dose of additive. Then start cranking to your hearts delight. It might take some cranking to get some fresh fuel to the cylinders, hence the battery charger/jumper cables. With the starter on this rig, only crank it for a MAX of 30 seconds, I would probably go about 20 seconds, then let it cool off for a good 1-2 minutes.

That would only work though, if you had bad fuel, and it wouldnt run on that bad fuel.

And by the way, you might want to move this to the 6.9/7.3 section of this website, its one or two above this section.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is "new timer and timer bypass solenoid"? What fuel pump was replaced? Lift pump or injection pump?
Make sure you have 12V to the IP.
Good fuel and a clean fuel filter.
NO air in the fuel system.
Make sure the glow plugs are clicking and wait for the "Wait to start light" to go off.
AND Fully charged batteries.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The water probably shut the thing down. It needs to have the water separator drained and perhaps a new filter and then take some fresh diesel with you. It probably needs to have the fuel system bled of all the air in there. If the pump doesn't start making fuel at the injectors then its a good possibility that the water junked the pump. If it has a functional H20 sep I'm pretty sure it just shut down and the truck needs a new filter and fresh diesel fuel and the air bled out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online