'91 F250 I.D.I. Hard start

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I crank the truck it vibrates for a few seconds then the truck quits vibrating and turns over smoothly. A week ago I filled both tanks and went on an errand. Was operating on the rear tank and the truck died while driving. I finally had to either it to get it restarted. I switched to the front tank and completed my errand. After returning home switched back to the rear tank, had no problems other that hard to start thingy. Truck has become harder to start since. I ASSumed the filter might be clogged so I changed the filter. When I removed the old filter I noticed it was only half full, whereas in the past when changing the filter it was full. Now when I crank the truck it still shakes at first then smooths out . . . and I notice the water in fuel light comes on dimly.
One more thing, for some time now if I park the truck with the nose pointing up say 20 degrees or more it ain't gonna start.

My questions are; Is the fuel pump (electric) going out causing fuel starvation?, hence the shaking. What caused it to die while on my errand?

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have air intrusion in your fuel system. The most common place for this is the fuel return lines and caps on the injectors but it can come from anywhere. Check for any fuel leaks, wet spots, cracked hoses, leaking weep hole on lift pump and see if thats your problem

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I crank the truck it vibrates for a few seconds then the truck quits vibrating and turns over smoothly. A week ago I filled both tanks and went on an errand. Was operating on the rear tank and the truck died while driving. I finally had to either it to get it restarted. I switched to the front tank and completed my errand. After returning home switched back to the rear tank, had no problems other that hard to start thingy. Truck has become harder to start since. I ASSumed the filter might be clogged so I changed the filter. When I removed the old filter I noticed it was only half full, whereas in the past when changing the filter it was full. Now when I crank the truck it still shakes at first then smooths out . . . and I notice the water in fuel light comes on dimly.
One more thing, for some time now if I park the truck with the nose pointing up say 20 degrees or more it ain't gonna start.

My questions are; Is the fuel pump (electric) going out causing fuel starvation?, hence the shaking. What caused it to die while on my errand?

Yes, it sounds like the electric fuel pump may be going out.

Half full filter, hard start, etc...

Including the fact that you had to use ether to get it to start after running out of fuel on the back tank. You SHOULD have just been able to sit there and let the electric pump run, and fill the system, before starting right up.

Remove the cap from the bleeder on the fuel filter housing, and observe the flow from there, with the ignition turned on, and the elcetric fuel pump running.

Also: If you have it on the front tank when you turn it off, (And half a tank or less.), better to have it facing downhill. If you have it on the back tank, ok, to face uphill.

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it sounds like the electric fuel pump may be going out.

Half full filter, hard start, etc...

Including the fact that you had to use ether to get it to start after running out of fuel on the back tank. You SHOULD have just been able to sit there and let the electric pump run, and fill the system, before starting right up.

Remove the cap from the bleeder on the fuel filter housing, and observe the flow from there, with the ignition turned on, and the elcetric fuel pump running.

Also: If you have it on the front tank when you turn it off, (And half a tank or less.), better to have it facing downhill. If you have it on the back tank, ok, to face uphill.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.

Don't start the engine, just let the electric fuel pump run.

You could just take the valve out of the inside, put on a clear tube, and drop that tube into a jar, so you can get a better idea of the flow.

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apologies for the delay, int. has been down for 2 days. I removed the schrader valve stem and had my helper turn the key. Fuel shot out!. Replaced the valve stem and the truck started immediately. Next morning . . . . no start without ether. Disgusted, took it to my diesel mechanic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online