'88 F250 XLT newbie

AmigaDave

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am the new owner of an 1988 Ford F250 XLT 2wheel drive standard cab w/8-foot bed. The odometer shows approx. 29,000 miles, and from what I have found online with CarFax, it appears that the odometer has rolled over perhaps three times, which would make my mileage approx 329,000 miles. I bought this truck because my 2007 Dodge Nitro R/T 4x4 died with an electrical problem, which I have not yet been able to resolve (the TIPM, total integrated power module), and I had no other means of transportation. I thought the truck ran pretty well when I test drove it, and decided that since the purchase price was under $1,500, it would be worth the risk of purchasing on short notice, with little investigation, and no service records.

I'm still satisfied with the purchase, but now that I know the true mileage, I'm a bit more concerned about longevity, and reliability. The automatic transmission appears to only have 3 forward gears, or the OD 4th gear is no longer working. It also shifts hard, and will not shift into a higher gear at low rpm's, which causes the shifts to be a bit hard as well. The first thing I did after purchase was an oil and filter change at a local "while you wait" drive through service station. I also had all other fluids flushed and replaced, as the truck had only been driven 1,000 miles in two years, since it's last oil change at the same location.

I am brand new to Ford's, and this is also my first diesel vehicle. Other than day to day trips to the grocery store, pharmacy, and doctor's office, this truck will only be used to pick up remodeling materials and trips to the dump. I have several questions, particularly regarding the transmission problem(s), but I will begin a separate thread in the appropriate forum section for those. I hope that this forum will be as helpful as the Dodge Nitro forum I belong to, and I'll apologize in advance for not being able to offer any answers to others, since I have no previous experience with diesel engines.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hit the stickies, the The idi tech section, then the hall of shame...
Btw its a c-6 3 sp tranny.
Look up vrv.
Enjoy.

The tech articles will introduce you to a good primer... And get you on the search for more answers.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And now being the rabid christler h8ter I am....
Whats this dodge variant you mention?

AmigaDave

Reaction score
And now being the rabid christler h8ter I am....
Whats this dodge variant you mention?

My daily driver is/was my 2007 Dodge Nitro R/T 4x4 SUV. Not a popular car, and only survived 5 or 6 years of production. The Jeep Liberty is, or was based on the Nitro, but shortened a bit. The standard Nitro came with an old style 3.7L V6 engine that is weak and not very efficiently matched to a 4 speed automatic, or 6 speed manual transmission, but the R/T model I have comes with a newer deisgned 4.0L V6 with higher compression mated to a Mercedes automatic 5 speed tranny, and I love it. It is just the right size for my 6'-1" frame, has just enough modern features, like Satellite Radio with Blue-tooth connection for hands free cell phone calling, pressure sensors for all 4 tires displayed on the dash guages, plus many more options I won't bore you with. It goes good in the snow, will tow up to 5,000lbs and the rear seats fold flat to make a bed just large enough for me to stretch out in and sleep, during long cross country trips. It gets a little over 20mpg on the highway, which I don't think is bad, considering its boxy shape, and heavy towing capacity and powerful engine.

The down side to many Dodge products in recent years, including unfortunately my 2007 Nitro, is the terrible Total Integrated Power Module (TIPM), which has resulted in thousands upon thousands of complaints and several class action lawsuits. Mine was not covered, maybe due to the small number of Nitro's produced. The Dodge trucks won a recall and replacement of their TIPM.

Anyway, I am not a fan of any brand over any other brands. I'll buy a Chevy, or Ford, or Dodge, just as fast as I'll buy a Toyota, Honda, or Nissan, as long as the vehicle is what I need and want, and it has gotten mostly favorable reviews. I doubt that I will ever buy another brand new vehicle, since I am now retired and on a very small fixed income.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Page locked

Fwiw
I recognize the nitro....
I came up on a " trail rated" liberty (a little newer rig) in the middle of the rubicon, following a toyota...
It was stock and just making forward progress.
Just barley.
But it was there.

?
Read up here.
These guys use these trucks.
The tech IS here.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member