87-91 Gauge Pod

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I ended up ordering the cheap glowshift 3 pod swivel mount. Mounts flat, I can angle the gauges individually towards me and it looks way better than a stamped 3 gauge steel mount. Probably not for everyone and I'm sure I'll have to tweak some things to keep the pods from drooping, but you can't beat $15 for something that works and looks clean. Got 2 matching single swivel pods to mount on either side of the cluster next to the air vents as well.

Btw Darrin, I almost got some Aussie headlight buckets from eBay in a part out. Great price and everything, right up until I asked them if they'd ship to the US :D

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Btw Darrin, I almost got some Aussie headlight buckets from eBay in a part out. Great price and everything, right up until I asked them if they'd ship to the US :D

Ugh Bummer,.. If you run into that again, I have a guy in Australia that is willing to ship them to the us. so if a Seller will ship to him we can get them here,..But it is not cheap,...

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Nothing is cheap coming that far. Bought a $16 fitting from an aussie seller (russell didn't freely advertise the same fitting, or the same one, so I didn't know any better). Was about $40 or so after shipping.

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crash-harris, I'm happy to help out if I can. Freight across the pacific isn't cheap but at least our dollar is only worth about 70 US cents.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently have a two gauge pod installed, boost & pyro (both are VDO). Also bought a 4 gauge pod from glow shift (not installed yet), planning to add "real oil pressure" and mechanical temp gauge.
You must be registered for see images attach

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also bought a 4 gauge pod from glow shift (not installed yet)
Please update when you install the 4 gauge pod...I'm considering going the same route. For that matter, if you have a chance to do a write-up on the install, I would greatly appreciate it, and I'm sure that others will as well ;Sweet

By the way, how are you liking the OBS door panels with the bricknose dashboard?

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding 95 doors on the 87 cab & brick dash, the color doesn't match exactly however I've yet to have anyone ask about it so I assume they don't notice...... Had to do a slight mod to the passenger side panel. Originally it hit just touched the side of brick dash. I use a heat gun to soften the door panel in that area then closed the door with a doubled over piece of cardboard (if I remember correctly) between the dash and door panel. Just let it sit in that position till it cooled then removed the cardboard and it worked perfect. There's a nice little gap between the dash & door panel. Driver side fit easily without mods. Wiring was another task! However it all worked out in the end. Also installed 2005 buckets, nice fit!

Runningaford

Reaction score
There's a tech article covering diy gauge pods; I followed it verbatim, and just finished my boost, & pyro pods. I was shocked at how nice it turned out. A quick run down goes:

tape off the dash area you want the pods to go with painters tape(go well beyond the actual size of the pod so as to be able to peel it off to lift the base out later),

then lay down some fiberglass mat, apply resin, let that dry, use the painters tape to lift it easily off once dry

Next take 2" pvc pipe, use a glue gun to glue them together, and onto the dried base.

Next, lay fiberglass mat over that, and for best looks stretch it tight, or however you want it contoured, then apply resin.

Next, sand that sucker to final shape

Next, in the front and wherever else necessary use a little bondo to fill in any voids.

The final look once painted is really damn nice, and entirely custom! I only did two pods, but this will easily work for multiple pods.

Thanks to Oilburners for that tech article!;Sweet

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
crash-harris, I'm happy to help out if I can. Freight across the pacific isn't cheap but at least our dollar is only worth about 70 US cents.

I can guarantee that I'll take you up on that eventually. As for now I've bought a brand new set of our plastic US headlight/marker light/bucket assemblies. They should last years until I can manage to convert the front of the Enterprise to a Bullnose. But whenever I start working on Bruiser I won't settle for plastic headlight housings since she'll only ever have a Bricknose.

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem. The buckets and marker light are the same , you will need the carrier frame, the headlight retainer and the chrome plastic surround.
The chrome surround you can buy a new reproduction set at the moment for around $100 AUD + freight. I don't think they will be around for much longer though. All of our car manufacturing industry (Ford, GM & Toyota) close up in 2016/2017 so all the outside suppliers that make those items will most likely be gone with them.

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding 95 doors on the 87 cab & brick dash, the color doesn't match exactly however I've yet to have anyone ask about it so I assume they don't notice...... Had to do a slight mod to the passenger side panel. Originally it hit just touched the side of brick dash. I use a heat gun to soften the door panel in that area then closed the door with a doubled over piece of cardboard (if I remember correctly) between the dash and door panel. Just let it sit in that position till it cooled then removed the cardboard and it worked perfect. There's a nice little gap between the dash & door panel. Driver side fit easily without mods. Wiring was another task! However it all worked out in the end. Also installed 2005 buckets, nice fit!

You have newer doors though correct? The triangle windows are different.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently have a two gauge pod installed, boost & pyro (both are VDO). Also bought a 4 gauge pod from glow shift (not installed yet), planning to add "real oil pressure" and mechanical temp gauge.

Nice shifter handle catbird, tells how you got it and made it.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
No problem. The buckets and marker light are the same , you will need the carrier frame, the headlight retainer and the chrome plastic surround.
The chrome surround you can buy a new reproduction set at the moment for around $100 AUD + freight. I don't think they will be around for much longer though. All of our car manufacturing industry (Ford, GM & Toyota) close up in 2016/2017 so all the outside suppliers that make those items will most likely be gone with them.

Don't happen to have a link to those parts do you?

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plowmaster: Yes, these are complete 1995 doors.
MTKirk: This truck originally had front buckets (red). I used the hardware / tracks from the original seats and re-attached to the 2005 buckets. Only required drilling a few holes and allowed using the original reinforced floor attachment points.
Turbo Elk: The shifter knob was made from an antler drop. (Right Side). Cutoff main beam above the guard point and drilled. Then used two minute epoxy to attach to shifter shaft. The "burr" is pointed up and fits my hand awful nice!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online