'86 IDI no fuel to injectors

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
My buddy has a '86 IDI NA 2wd with a ZF5
I swapped the IP out for him.
No I didn't remove the gear the IP I only removed the IP with the hard lines to the injectors.
The lift pump pushes fuel to the IP inlet but I'm wondering why it doesn't want to start or even bleed the air out of the hard lines for the injectors.
I'm not sure if the pump gear is timed correctly to the engine.
Not sure if the shut of solenoid is working right.
I don't really know the history of the vehicle either.
All I know is it was running when it was parked the guy went to start it the next day and it wouldn't start.
So he asked me to change the IP which I did but neither of us have been unable to getting it going.
Any help would be great. Thanks.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
take the wire with the key on and touch it to the pump. do u hear it click?

undo the line going into the IP and make sure fuel is coming out from there. then try a fuel line again.

FOOT TO THE FLOOR when your bleeding a system out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry I was not available to take your call last nit Jim. So you can't get fuel out of the injection pump. Well does it come out the return line off the top of the pump. As already posted. Are you sure the fuel shutoff solenoid has power and you cna feel and hear the click sound from the pump. Try running a jumper wire to the shutoff solenoid. See it it makes the click. You might try removing the black fitting and see if there is an plastic crap plugging it up. Sometimes the advance ring in a pump breaks up and small pieces of it travel thru the injection pump causing all kinds of hell. Also what contition was this pump. As for getting it correctly installed you can't really do it wrong if the gear was not removed. So far you have tols us the gear was not touched. So maybe its just way retarded. Try advancing the pump 1/8 of an inch towards the passenger fender.