86 F350 powerstroke

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
As some of you may have heard I am planning a powerstroke swap into my 86 in place of my N/A 6.9. I have a complete running 95F350 PSD ZF5 that will be the donor vehicle. I really wanted to keep my 86 interior but the wiring for the cruise I think would be over my head. I could handle the dimmer switch, heater controls and fuel tank selector.
SO today i just got back from Rob(IDIPWR)w a full 94 BLUE interior to swap out when i actually get my ass in gear and get the stroke in the truck.
..Now i just have to wait till my concrete gets poured and dried so i can get both truck in the garage and get going.

And yes. there will be lots of pics for anyone looking to do a similar swap

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck. I love the 6.9 but have had similarly treasonous thoughts.

perk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember a while ago there was some instructions on wiring the cruise on a powerstroke that was pretty simple. I ihtnk that it was on thedieselstop.com. It might be an alternative to swapping the interior just to have the cruise.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I remember a while ago there was some instructions on wiring the cruise on a powerstroke that was pretty simple. I ihtnk that it was on thedieselstop.com. It might be an alternative to swapping the interior just to have the cruise.

For Putting cruise in a no cruise powerstroke truck, all you have to do is put in a cruise horn pad. That is it. DONE ford used the same harness and column.
That is part of the thing I am trying NOT to do is use the 95 column

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
hay bud how hard is it to do the swap i found a 7.3 powerstroke and im lookin at a 1985 f350 crewcab and i wana do a powerstroke swap into the 85 , its got a 351 winsor in it but im tryin to stay away from gas trucks gas trucks make me do to much illegal stuff lol

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The 86 sits in the garage fully drivable. And the 95 sitts outside getting snowed on. It got pushed to the back burner for a lil while while i had(have 5 other projects going)

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
ah ic yea cause im pickin up a 7.3 powerstroke motor for 250 with all wirein and computers needed it good when your good freinds with someone who owns a junkyard

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Dont forget to get the throttle pedal,instrument cluster,COMPLETE wing harness(whole truck) and the dash too

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The 80-86 dash
DImmer switch on the floor
wiper switch on the dash
fuel tank switch on the right by heater

The 92-97 dash
Dimmer switch on column
Wiper switch on column
Fuel tank switch on left next to headlight switch

Now. The instrument cluster plays an important part in the engine running, so you will need that. The 92-97 cluster will have a hard time fitting behind the 80-86 dash.

The ECM is mounted thru the firewall right where the 80-86 e-brake is mounted, so you will need to use the 92-97 ebrake and pedal assem to be able to mount the ecm thru the firewall.

This is just some of the issues

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
well ill have to see what all he wants for all of that then im only givein 250 dollars for the motor and all the wirein and computers with it hopefully he wont want to much more for the other stuff is everything the same in the trucks as it is in the vans cause my motors comeing out of a van or whats left of the van only from the back of the trans to the front is left the back half of the van is gone what would the trans be worth if i bought it cause its automatic and i hate automatic but its still a good trans

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Van dashes are completly different. The turbos are different . They are tuned to a lesser power, may have smaller injectors. The computer is different for a van. The harness is different for a van(no dual tanks). The cluster (i think is different). Stering colum is different

Other than the block and heads, there is not too much in common w a truck 7.3 The accrsories IIRC are also mount differnently.

Someone may be able to chime in, or you can go up to the PSD site and ask van guys(powerstoke nation)

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Anymore updates on this?

Been thinking about later down the road doing a PSD swap with my truck, I'd just like to see one done first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online