86 6.9l water pump

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I’d get a different plate that wasn’t stripped, or get new nuts welded on. The helicoil needs locktite for sure but this is a really shallow and very exposed application, not sure if I’d use them for this one. I’m sure Wes or Russ have numerous ones laying in the parts pile not mention the many other users on here that have broken down engines and have a stash of parts waiting to be needed. Your local machine shop may even have an old timer that stashed one in the far back years ago.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s not enough meat there in that weld nut for me to feel comfortable using a heli-coil. Maybe 3 or 4 threads. It’s such an easy repair to do it right. Even if you don’t have a welder, I can’t imagine a welding shop charging more than $40. Better yet, a 12pack to someone you know with a welder. Where are you located? Maybe we can find you a good one close by.

grumpy1

Reaction score
well i got the timing cover repaired and gaskets should be here today.
many times these large thin gaskets are difficult to keep positioned during assembly.
i've read that some use a thin layer of rtv, a thin layer of lithium grease, and just oil.
maybe there's no wrong solution if it works.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wipe both surfaces clean with solvent and let it dry. I like to “paint” a thin layer of RTV on both sides of the gasket. Apply it sparingly, and spread it thin with your finger. Do the pump side of the gasket first, stick it to the pump, then do the same to the engine side of the gasket. Then install it to the engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online