86 6.9l water pump

grumpy1

Reaction score
my water pump is leaking so i thought i'd ask for input from y'all while i wait for it. it looks like getting the fan clutch off without special tools may be a pain. and what about antifreeze? is cavitation a problem on these 6.9l's?

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy some inexpensive special tools or maybe you can borrow from a local auto parts store. I bought an inexpensive set a few years ago and it was worth it--especially since I had a tiny leak a few days after install and it would have been irritating to have to borrow them again instead of just going at it ASAP.

6.9 has thick cylinder walls so I hear few reports of cavitation problems. Just run FleetCharge red/pink coolant and it's pre-charged with SCAs to counter cavitation.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A big pair of channelocks or a hammer and chisel will get the clutch off. You likely need a new one anyway.

Usually the aftermarket water pumps come with 2 bolts. Those go in the top 2 holes.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A large crescent wrench and a BFH. Works for me every time. A couple of solid whacks before you take the belts off and it should spin off from there.

grumpy1

Reaction score
sorry for the late response. sometimes life gets in the way of our fun. if i go back with fleetcharge should i flush the system first?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
sorry for the late response. sometimes life gets in the way of our fun. if i go back with fleetcharge should i flush the system first?
Yes and make sure you do a final flush with distilled water and use distilled for your coolant mix. Also would be a good time to change the heater hoses or radiator hoses if they are questionable.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Some of the bolts on the water pump go into the crankcase. Be sure to use some sealant on those ones. Or you could end up with coolant in your crankcase.

Also a good time to do the thermostat if it’s been a couple of years since you replaced it. Only use a Motorcraft one.

Take and send some pics.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything written above will definitely help you make this as painless as possible. I did mine less than a year ago and it actually wasn’t too bad. Once you get the fan out the way and definitely remember to put the sealant on those top two bolts.
I’ll go ahead and recommend Flowkooler for the pump. Their service is great and the product is amazing. Crafted here in the US.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything written above will definitely help you make this as painless as possible. I did mine less than a year ago and it actually wasn’t too bad. Once you get the fan out the way and definitely remember to put the sealant on those top two bolts.
I’ll go ahead and recommend Flowkooler for the pump. Their service is great and the product is amazing. Crafted here in the US.

I take it you used one? I've been considering one myself.

Lonewolf182

Reaction score
Hopefully your fan nut comes off easy.
If not, check this thread.
It shows a simple tool that I had to make the last time I changed a pump

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, if you pull the fan and pump with the radiator still mounted then you might want to tape a piece of cardboard across the backside of the rad just to protect those delicate fins. One slip with the fan and it's new radiator time.

grumpy1

Reaction score
that Flowkooler pump looks great but i have already bought one.
my fan clutch came off pretty easy. a big adjustable wrench and a few wraps with a hammer and it broke loose.
two issues i've not seen discussed is getting the old gasket off and weather or not to use sealer.
the old gasket had molecullarly bonded with the block :)
i got most of it off with a lot of scrapping. would a die grinder with a brass brush do any damage?

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brass brush wont do any damage to the steel. Only thing I would recommend is to block off the openings so you don't get any in the engine. The pieces could damage the new pump.