85 F250 6.9 NA Issues

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And while you're at it, go to Frontier Arms for good deals on guns. Seriously, the best - They're in CHEYENNE.

Last edited:

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys. I picked up a rebuilt pump for 50 bucks in great shape. Problem is i snapped off the return line elbow on the top of the original pump. Got the new pump on, but without the elbow. Should it start without it? Cause it doesn't.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed the return elbow. I got it to start by some howes down the intake, and then it ran on its own, but idled extremely low. I shut it off and turned the idle screw up a bit. Now it will not start. Let it sit overnight, still wont start. It wont even pop. There's is fuel at the injectors. Almost seems flooded. Help me out guys

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i made the mistake of shutting it off while it was still cold. I have tried starting it probably 5 or more times. Pedal half way down, glow plugs warmed

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've tried all pedal positions, no change. Yes i do have a block heater but no where to plug it in, i live in apartments.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No ext cords, and its parked on the far side of the lot anyway. I did not turn the screw back, considering all is does it hold the throttle open a bit more at idle, which shouldn't matter considering i am holding the pedal down

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok then well did you try a touch of startin fuild I know i know but i had to do it on both of mine that I had a few years back plus are you sure your getting fuel to the pump?

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All i've got is carb cleaner, will that work? Should i let the Gp's cycle before i spray it in?

When i crack the injector lines there is fuel coming out as its cranked so i assume the pump is getting fuel.

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Limited Answer, hope it helps.

The 6.9L Ford (International) Diesel engine has that Elbow on the stanadyne pump (for the return line) that has the glass check valve in it. You need that valve in place for the engine to run properly. That valve can cause more problems than you care to know about if its acting up or dirty/clogged. Causes smoke, idle issue, lack of start, rough engine, stall, etc etc. Worth checking out.:dunno

EDIT : ok, so my roommates had me distracted and I listed the above before I forgot about it, and it was already covered. Now, let me tell you about my truck. You can see pictures of it I just posted today in a new thread. My truck had the very same behavior as yours until I put an electric pump in it with a see-through fuel filter. My fuel lines have holes in them. When I start my truck you can see a solid stream of bubbles come from the main fuel line that goes up to the separator filter. The electric pump boosted my pressure and cured pretty much every issue I had. My check valve was clean, injectors good and dry, EVERYTHING. The pump and lines and filter cost me right at 75 bucks. If you check out my new thread, look at the engine photo at the brake reservoir. you can see the green pump, fuel line, and barely see the filter over by the fuel-water separator. As this was/is my problem, I would suggest looking into it. The engine behavior and smoke are the tip off considering the amount of troubleshooting you have already done. And don't forget, the 6.9L (Ford) International is a CLOSED LOOP fuel system that cant take air as the indirect injector's need the fuel pressure to function/open.

Last edited:

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing is for the instance i had it running, it revved out perfect. Is it possible that its flooded??

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Flood_of_oil

Pull out a glow plug and shine a light down the hole and see what you see. that is all I can say to do without pulling things apart more. It's the same as doing it with a spark plug. But, seriously, the holes in my fuel lines are what caused my problems. A big tip off is foamy fuel coming out hte bleeder (schrader) valve on the engine fuel filter and/or having to re-prime the pump constantly. The fuel line thing can be easily diagnosed by a simple see through filter and a couple hose clamps. All your looking for is air coming through the fuel inside the filter housing.:dunno

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i pulled the Gp's. None of them looked wet or anything. Going to test them all with a ohm meter. Know what should the resistance be on them?