85 Drum Removal

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the Axle nut off then bearing and hub. its a wet mess in there . Can i take off the whole backing plate and rebuild indoors ? i have the spring kit and wheel cylinder? Drums and new seal bearings and races look good. its a Dana 70u
You must be registered for see images attach

I don't see brake shoes on the list. You really can't clean them off, they are soaked. Believe me, I have tried, I am cheap. When you fix the leak they will get gummy and start locking that wheel up when you hit the brakes. The only way I have really saved brake shoes that were contaminated is take a torch and carefully burn the fluid/oil out of them. But that's time consuming and I have only done it on machinery when production was down and new linings would have to be ordered.

Idiforlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have shoes and new break lines also ,I should have said.. Do you think removing the backing plate will make it easier? And recommendations on new seals ?

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could pull it off and clean it. I would rebuild it on the axle as it would be difficult installing all the springs without the backing plate firmly anchored. Check where the seal rides on the axle. If it is grooved you will need to install a speedi sleeve to prevent a further oil mess.

Idiforlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little update seal part number for your reference and mine Hoping i will get another 250k out of the brake system. Still need to do the passenger side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online