84 f-250 Xtra cab

promustangman

Reaction score
I am new to diesels this will be my first diesel truck.
84 6.9 f-250 extra cab I am getting it for $200 there is oil coming out of the overflow tube of the radiator fresh black oil , Milky in the radiator and the oil on the dipstick looks fine. From what I have been reading it looks like i need to check out the oil cooler first and go from there??
Thanks Guys

William

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man for $200 that sounds like a good find. Even if you have to out a motor in it you will be in it good.

promustangman

Reaction score
Man for $200 that sounds like a good find. Even if you have to out a motor in it you will be in it good.

They only thing better would have been a crew cab dually !! In my opinion.
Body is straight I was surprised how good of shape this thing is for a 24yr old truck i saw 2 little dings one in the chrome moulding above the drivers side rear wheel well the other about 12 inches ahead of that just enough to say there was a ding LOL!!!
Might Take possession of it this weekend and dig into it .
Where do you guys get those o rings for the oil cooler ?? I checked
Autozone napa and Kragens Website I see the gaskets but not the o rings..

Thanks
William

Camarogenius

Reaction score
My parts motor is a 6.9. One of the first year or two of production. The oil cooler has the filter at the rear instead of at the front.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hm never run into that yet
The truck's an '84...the '83 and early '84 trucks used a different oil cooler. Externally, it looks similar, but the internals are different...it actually uses 6 O-rings, and 4 of them (the inner rings) are narrower and smaller, and they go into the end caps instead of on the bundle.

Take a look here for some pictures of the earlier setup (and a comparison between the O-rings). As was said, the inner rings for the earlier oil cooler cannot be acquired from Ford, but IH MIGHT still have them...it's worth checking. The outer ring is actually the same on both setups.

Welcome aboard!! Where are the pictures of the new rig? :D

promustangman

Reaction score
The truck's an '84...the '83 and early '84 trucks used a different oil cooler. Externally, it looks similar, but the internals are different...it actually uses 6 O-rings, and 4 of them (the inner rings) are narrower and smaller, and they go into the end caps instead of on the bundle.

Take a look here for some pictures of the earlier setup (and a comparison between the O-rings). As was said, the inner rings for the earlier oil cooler cannot be acquired from Ford, but IH MIGHT still have them...it's worth checking. The outer ring is actually the same on both setups.

Welcome aboard!! Where are the pictures of the new rig? :D

No pics yet will try to get some this week ..
I am wondering if my best bet is to go to pick N-pull and get one off a truck redo it and try it out !! trying to figure out how to get it home it has a push bar on the front and my tow bar wont hook to the bumper :frustrate

LOL Always something!!
William

Will a oil cooler off a 7.3 work on it ?? or a different year or if i use the headers and all???

Last edited:

promustangman

Reaction score
ok Looks like I am going to the wrecking yard in the am !!

Will see how many diesels are out there this week!!

William

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you pull an oil cooler off a truck. The van oil cooler is different...mostly in the rear header (the other parts MIGHT be the same, but I'm not sure, and I wouldn't chance it), but it's different enough that it will not work on a truck. The oil filter on the van oil cooler's angled differently, and will hit the crossmember...also, the header physically won't bolt to the truck's block (there's some sort of adapter on the van)...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The fel pro conversion gasket set ( lower engine gasket set ) comes with the oil cooler orings and gaskets and costs about $50 less than what the dealers raked me over the coals for a set of orings and oil cooler gaskets alone , last time I rebuilt my oil cooler.

Wouldn't hurt to price both options in your area first.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin